Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cats & sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:51 AM
1st Gear
Default cats & sensors

I'm planning on chipping my 02' 2.7T 6spd(67,000 mi.). I would like to lose the cats...does anyone know of a good way or product to trick the ECU? Any info on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Default RE: cats & sensors

you could fit a test pipe/ cat bypass pipe but the o2 sensors have to stay in the system and it will fail the emissions, having said that many people still do it and replace the cat when the car goes in for emissions test or MOT in the UK

Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Avant. I live in Louisiana & they don't, or at least never have, performed an emmision test on any of my vehicles.
I suppose the question now is how exactly will the ECU will react to O2's without cats in the system? Are you saying that as long as the O2's(fore & aft) are left in plugged in & in the exhaust, engine management will not be compromised? How would the ECU react to leaving the pre O2's in the exhaust & connected & leaving the post's out but connected? Tell me how you would configure the O2's in relation to the ECU & the exhaust if you were to remove the cats & what pros vs. cons you would expect as a result. Thanks

Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

One vote for not doing it. I don't pee in your pool, please don't pee in my air. Yes, it's my air too -- we share it.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 PM

it shouldn effect the ECU the cat is wired into any system its the o2 sensors that give out the signal and since they can only detect a failing cat that problem is going to come up,

sothboroaudiguy did you know how many old cars in the USA don't have a cat because they are old and some newer cars pass the emissions without the cat and are cleaner than the old ones that doesnt mean we should ban all the old cars of the road, have caution how or if you reply to this as there are many collectors out there and would have a new car shot at them

Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear

avant80,

I understand that old cars don't have cats because they didn't come with them. I also know that we didn't understand the need for them when we made these cars (there were also a LOT fewer cars on the road at time). We don't grandfather emissions standards because it's much harder to retrofit older cars and the cost is directly imposed on their owners because they cannot be factored into the design and manufacturing processes (as they can with newer cars). Todays' cleaner cars that don't need cats because they pass inspections without them are fine -- they've done their job to be clean burning through other aspects design.

I'm not "pro-cats." I am anti-pollution. I'll be dead and gone before it will probaby matter, but I've got a kid and I think our generation has a responsibility to hand over the planet to his in some sort of reasonable shape. Clean air regulations have taken enough of a beating lately. The last thing he or his friends need is people defeating today's emmissions standards by removing catalytic converters just to pick up a few extra horsepower.

I certainly am not naive enough to expect anybody to hear my thoughts on the matter and suddenly change their thinking. That said, I registered my opinion as a "vote" to not make this particular mod. Forums like this are a place for people to exchange the pros and cons of doing this or that. I'm merely expressings one of the cons.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM

I know exactly where your coming from mate and realise your answer was not a protest but there are many sides to this equation and the only way its going to be resolved is when hybrid cars take over (which is a tenth the problem) factory's commit much more to the atmosphere than cars, and on a lighter side farm animals do even bigger but we don't go round sticking catalytic converters up their jacksss lol

Old 07-08-2006, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info & opinion. I've done some research & formed some conclusions of my own on gov't reg's, clean air, modern engine efficiency, etc. I'm not unconcerned about the environment & will take your ideas into consideration Southboro, I respect them & will take a look at some high flow cats & their prices. Anyway, thanks again...I'll let you know what I decide.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

I tip my hat. Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended and respecting the viewpoint.