Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear my spring concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default clear my spring concerns

OK! I haven't asked a dumb question in a while so, I guess I'm due.

I am looking into springs for the car ('01 2.7T 17"BBS) Eibach, H&R, or....? So, The question is can I just change the springs and keep everything else the same? I am looking to lower as well as stiffen it up in the corners. Will this put additional strain on my stock struts (I don't think I have the sport package)or other suspension components?

The car presents itself like a 4X4. The wheel well gaps measure as follows...front tires (top of tire to bottom of fender well 3.5") rear tires (top of tire to bottom of quarter well 3").

See my point! Dropping the front 1.5" and the rear 1" is my ideal ride height.

Comments please!

Thanks
E

Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: clear my spring concerns

Lowering springs will cause the stock shocks to wear out quickly...although since you have an '01 you may as well change out your shocks anyway...they're probably pretty tired. As for springsI would go with H&R but that just personal preference...if you have the cash you could go with coilovers which will let you adjust your ride height.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

I agree with slee ... if you are gonna do springs, I would do struts as well, just because of the extra strain it puts on the suspension

that is of course, audis are some how different than every other car ive ever worked on =p ... dont know that it would supriseme thoughlol

Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

^^^^ To the above, H&R Sports will give a good ride without being too stiff. Definitely replace struts and shocks as well

OOOO

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Will do, thanks for clearing this up. I thought the new springs would add new un-wanted strain. I'll post pics in a few weeks. Deff going w/the H&R sport springs and considering Konis'. I'm not looking to make a track car. Just tighter and lower.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

I did springs only on my A6 first. YUO can do springs only on the A6 with sport suspension but it is not recommended with non sport stock shocks. Anyway, I did springs only, the H&R sports, and even with sport suspension, I regretted it quickly. From a look standpoint, it was great, a significant drop (much more than the eibachs) and the car handled bettter overall. HOwever, with stock shocks I experienced bouncing, bottomed out in some areas.. So a few months later, I added the Koni yellow/sport shocks. Car got a little lower which made it very low. It handled better as it was much stiffer with much less roll and dive. Only on bad roads, did it handle worse in turns, normal as yuo get stiffer. So it cured the problem I had with springs only, no bouncing and less bottoming out. However, it became really rough! My wife hated it, my kids too.... it is a trade off...
One lesson is that I payed labor twice b/c I did not want to spend $ on shocks the first time... So my advice is whichever brand you het do both shocks and springs, even it means yuo wait and save a little before doing it.
So the ride was too rough, especially as I upgraded to 19's...
Since then I replaced both springs and shocks b/c I wanted improved handling and looks/lowering BUT I did not want that rough a ride, I wantd a better compromise of looks/handling and comfort. I found what I feel is the best compromise and setup for our cars unless you track it or/and are a die hard twisties racer
I sold my H&R and Koni Yellows parts to install Koni FSD shocks with Eibach springs. I have almost stock comfort/ride with great looks and improved hanlding. Obviously they roll a litte more thna the previous set but the little handling loss is well worth the gain in comfort....
Oh and I am down to 18's too !

Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, Brice. I was waiting for you to say something. I read in previous posts you played around with different set-ups. I wasn't sure which set your were runing now?

First off, Is that your car in your signature? It looks filthy! That means I like, it alot. It's evil!

Alright, now that I made your head bigger, thanks very much for sharing your experience. I was skeptical to do both springs and struts. I didn't want to get to aggressive. I believe that I have the same taste that you have. I want the look, but do not want to sacrifice the ride. So, I while deff. check into the Koni fsd/eibach springs. I think I remember seeing a kit somewhere with the koni fsd's paried with eibach springs for a grand or so.

http://www.suspensiononline.com/category-s/211.htm

Hopefully, I can get it into the shop sometime next week? I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as she rolls out of the shop.

Thanks
E