Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Clearing check engine light

Seems that my check engine light wont go off because no computer will connect to my obd port in my car. The problem was fixed with a evap sensor mass air flow replaced. Well seems that we have tried all options to clear the check engine light with out the diagnostic computer.

1) Removed battery cables for 1 minute.
2) Tapped both battery cables together for 1 minute. This works for Hondas and was hoping it worked with the Audi.(Nothing)

I also read that if you replace your factory audi radio with another aftermarket this may make the check engine light stay on. Can anyone confirm this? What do I do now anyone with suggestions. This car needs to go for emmissions. So I need to clear this light for about 20 minutes.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Clearing check engine light

Very odd, I just discussed this subject. I have a 98 A6. I use a local coner garage mechanic. The guy seems to know more than the dealer. I need plugs, pvc valve, and air filter. Maybe an oxygen sensor. So he said he would replace the first items then if the check engine light goes off OK. I thought that was odd and said, can't you clear it. He said no, because for some emission type repairs it will not go off until you drive a few hundred miles. He said maybe the dealer could clear it with a special code. But he said this is so people don't clear a code, get an emissions check before the light has a chance to come back on.
Who knows if this is correct, but a nice story anyway.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

if i unplug my battery my **** will for away for a couple days i should work mine is a 1997 a6

Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I have worked for a VW/Audi Dealer here in Tampa Florida for about 4.5 years. the MIL is required by the ECM to illuminate after certain requirements are met for a malfunction by 1 of the 1000's of DTC's/components monitored by the ECM. I fyou clear the ECM memory (the MIL) the MIL will re-illuminate if the problem was not fixed. How long it takes depends on the component that has failed. For example, the Secondary Air Injection System can fail or malfunction a couple of times before the MIL will come on. Fuel trim is different a little bit. if your car is running lean due to a vacuum leak in bank 2 it will throw a DTC when the fuel trim reaches a value of 5.0 + or - but will not turn on the MIL until it reaches 10.0 + or - This is due to tolerances in the operating parameters that the vehicle is allowed to run under and still pass federal laws for emissions.
As for how to clear the MIL it can only be done w/ a VAG scan tool or other capable software or scanner.(ie.Snap-On scanner, VAGCOM software for your laptop, or other scanner.) I believe, but am not positive, that you can have your car scanned and reset by some auto parts stores like Advance or AutoZone.( not my favorite suggestion, though.) Bottom line is... fix your car. Somewhere. By someone who has REAL TRAINING on Audi systems. Thes cars areNOT like Chevys or Mazdas or Toyotas or whatever shows up at the corner gas station. I've worked at Goodyear and Toyota and have been trained in their ways on their systems and they are very different fron VAG vehicles.(Volkswagen Audi Gruppe) I also have Experience w/ Subaru as they are also a brand at my Dealer. Again, a WHOLE different world. Our Subie masterhates working on the VW's because they are SO different.
Good luck. hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

hmm, buy code reader and eraser. Cost arround 20 bucks. Was work fine for me. (i had broken cat. convertor). Sometimes can Check engine lite com on, when u filledgas within runing engine. Beware of it.