Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Default clutch replacement

Hello everyone, I'm a new member & a new owner of an 02' A6 2.7T. I'm stoked about owning this machine but i have a terrible problem...63,000mi & the clutch just crapped out. I'm an ex-BMW tech, still have all my tools & now that I have found out indie labor - bought the clutch kit via the internet & decided to do it myself. Any & all tips would be greatly appreciated. I have the audi CD ROM in my possesion...but I'd sure love some 1st hand advice. thanks

Old 03-08-2006, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: clutch replacement

Some long extensions(bout 3 ft) with a good set of swivils and a powerfull impact come in handy for removing those bellhousing bolts. Also use some bungee cords to hold the exhaust out of the way. Removing the exhaust from the manifolds back is a real pain. Make sure you have some way of organizing the belhousing bolts. Theyre all different lenths and its kinda a pain to figure out where they go.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the insight dankhound...I have all those tools. According to the repair manual, (2) 10x60 bell housing to eng. bolts have to be replaced with new bolts 10x55...I dont think I'll have any problem finding those though. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this job on on jackstands? I'd hate to do it but if I cant rent out a stall w/a lift I may do it to save a grand+. I know it will be a total bitch Also, how many, if any of the eng t/bellhousing bolt have nuts? Starter?...Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

What is "the Audi CD ROM" exactly? I bought the online Bentley manual a while back and didn't find it useful at all... Is it just me? I wanted something like the Haynes manual my buddy has for his Nissan.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

I found it useful, especially compared to nothing else...what I have is the Official Factory Repair Manual on CD-ROM - published by Bently. I would have preferred a book also but I couldn't find one on 02' A6 2.7T 6spd...let me know if you find one. I just bought the car a month ago & the CD a week later. I hoped I wouldnt need it, at least so soon, but the clutch went out, anyway it seems to be quite informative on some things...like where in the eng. bay the connectors for the O2 sensors are, the different sizes & number of bolts from tranny to eng block, etc. I know replacing the clutch assy isn't rocket science but Ill take any info I can get.
I will say that I cant access all parts of the CD unless they just dont exist - 1-maint. 2-tech serv bulletins 3-comp locations(unless they happen to show them in a certain repair instr. procedure.