Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P1296 - Coolant Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Code P1296 - Coolant Issues

Hi

My needle on my dash does not go up and down, but my car does not overheat. I drive for hours at a time sometimes.

I have code P1296, what is the best way to handle this?

Do I need to just buy the temperature sensor or could it be more?

Does this also affect the car to the point of the check engine light coming on?

I just had my cats and oxygen sensors changed, and they didnt do a complete job went back the fixed it (no noise now) and they said the P1176 code came on because of this, which they said they fixed the second time around.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

1st - what year and what motor?

P1296 on the C5 chassis is either the temp sensor, or your thermostat is stuck open.

Give the Coolant temp sensor swap a try first (new plastic clip & O-Ring too).

If it turns out that the problem is the thermostat.. might as well do your timing belt service (if you're overdue for one especially) "while you're in there" since all of that gets involved when it comes to accessing your thermostat.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG

P1296 on the C5 chassis is either the temp sensor, or your thermostat is stuck open.

If it turns out that the problem is the thermostat.. might as well do your timing belt service (if you're overdue for one especially) "while you're in there" since all of that gets involved when it comes to accessing your thermostat.
i agree with this.

my 2.8 was having the same problem the tempo gauge would take forever to get up and sometimes it would go from fully warm to completely cool while its being driven! lol.

this was at 75k i did the timing belt at 89k and the temp now goes up. if you havent done the belt and the accessories do them now.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG

Hi,

My car is a 2002 Audi A6 3.0. I do not know if the timing belt has been done already, I took it to Audi for a diagnostic check and they didnt tell me I needed that changed. My car is at 135,000 miles.

I will change the temp sensor, is it easy to do it myself? with no car knowledge?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kish
Hi,

My car is a 2002 Audi A6 3.0. I do not know if the timing belt has been done already, I took it to Audi for a diagnostic check and they didnt tell me I needed that changed. My car is at 135,000 miles.

I will change the temp sensor, is it easy to do it myself? with no car knowledge?
there are quite a few write ups at audizine and audiworld. google it and you will find tons.

if you have changed the temp sensor and the problem persists that might mean the timing belt hasnt been changed because most people change the thermostat waterpump along with the belt.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
there are quite a few write ups at audizine and audiworld. google it and you will find tons.

if you have changed the temp sensor and the problem persists that might mean the timing belt hasnt been changed because most people change the thermostat waterpump along with the belt.
I am a female, and I am not about to start tinkling with my car, lol.

But thanks for the sugg, I will still look anyway. I also want to know something. The temp sensor and the thermostat waterpump is two different things right?

Cause Im just talking about changing the sensor, thats what Audi said to do

Thanks again

Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kish
I am a female, and I am not about to start tinkling with my car, lol.

But thanks for the sugg, I will still look anyway. I also want to know something. The temp sensor and the thermostat waterpump is two different things right?

Cause Im just talking about changing the sensor, thats what Audi said to do

Thanks again
yes all those things are different.