Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Start Setting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Default Cold Start Setting?

I just drove my 8 month old A6 Avant 2.0 TDI 168bhp to Portugal & back from Wakefield in West Yorkshire. Had a top box on, & was loaded to the gills. En route was a set routine. Out of bed, breakfast & then drive between 300-500k.

After a few days an anomaly became obvious. If I got into the car & started it from cold and then drove the distance, I only got bet 33 & 38 miles to the gallon. However, If I started the car and let it run for a couple of minutes, then stopped the engine and restarted it & then drove the distance, I would get well over 40 miles to the gallon!

I had over three weeks to play with this, and it proved to work every time. On the last leg, I did a clear run from Rouen to Sangatte early in the morning. Cold start, non stop. I got 33 mpg. On the train, restart in the UK, & straight into heavy traffic. I got 44 mpg before I got home!

Has the CPU got a cold start setting that isn't switching off If I don't restart the engine? My local dealer has never heard of it before!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
3rd Gear

were you able to calculate miles per gallon off your actual fuel usage? I ask because the on screen displayed mileage might not always be accurate and what you are seeing might just be an anomaly in the software coding, but not an actual increase/decrease in gas mileage.

My god I wish we could get TDI's in the A6 here. My 2.8q gets 22mpg on average

Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 AM

Don't really trust the computer, so did the math early on to see how accurate the figures were. After I did that I was reasonably happy with the accuracy, if it wasn't reset every few minutes. Due to the long journeys I was able to note just how quickly fuel was used. The difference in the cold/warm start was startling! The mid 40's fuel consumption is very satisfying. In theory I can get 800 miles to a tank. Never pushed it beyond 730 because the fuel warning light comes on, & i'm a coward!
I do find it rather strange that the US have never really taken to Audi diesels. I was at a motor show in Orlando not long ago, & the sales guy on the Audi stand was adamant that Audi diesels wouldn't sell, because they were slow and dirty! That man needed an education. All my Audi's have been clean, smooth, and very fast.