Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments on molecular oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default Comments on molecular oil additives

I’m wondering if anybody has experienced the “magic” effects of any of the following oil additives:

http://polytron.ca/product_engine_detail.html
Polytron claims “up to 99% wear reduction”.
Intense presence in Eastern Europe (some manufacturing there) – makes me suspicious.
Look s like a pricey stuff…
---------------------------------------

Lubecorp has a similar product but a way less expensive:
http://www.lubecorp.com/products/pow...nditioner.html

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Ive seen many different kinds of oil additives on the market, and heard almost as many opinion on their effectiveness. Personally, I used to use one on my 2.8 a4 and didnt have any problems. I think it was called restore and had a kevlar and polymer filler that was supposed to fill in microscopic scratches and cracks in the cylinder and restore engine compression. I never took a compression test before and after so I can't validate its effectiveness but it never gave me problems.

I can say that I've heard that certain additives with cling to the cylinder walls and if the chemical is discontinued or another is used its possible for a reaction to occur which will leave various precipitates which contribute to oil sludge and sedatives.

For my application, I dont think that I induce the kind of stress that would be alleviated from lubricants. Good synthetic 0w-40 at regular intervals with half can of seafoam 100 miles before each oil change is as good as I can see for the 2.7tt.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:19 PM

Aftermarket additives are not always a good thing to add to your oil. Some manufactures have been charged by the Federal Trade Commission for false and deceptive advertising. Sometimes additives can be detrimental to the proper function of the oil. Good luck. AnthonyZ tony@zippyoil.com

Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jhuffman
Ive seen many different kinds of oil additives on the market, and heard almost as many opinion on their effectiveness. Personally, I used to use one on my 2.8 a4 and didnt have any problems. I think it was called restore and had a kevlar and polymer filler that was supposed to fill in microscopic scratches and cracks in the cylinder and restore engine compression. I never took a compression test before and after so I can't validate its effectiveness but it never gave me problems.

I can say that I've heard that certain additives with cling to the cylinder walls and if the chemical is discontinued or another is used its possible for a reaction to occur which will leave various precipitates which contribute to oil sludge and sedatives.

For my application, I dont think that I induce the kind of stress that would be alleviated from lubricants. Good synthetic 0w-40 at regular intervals with half can of seafoam 100 miles before each oil change is as good as I can see for the 2.7tt.
Your comment on precipitates reflects my concern. It's generally not one ingredient that causes harm, but the synergistic effect of two or more ingredients and their interaction that can harm.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear

To put out there when I was working in auto parts I was informed that chemical precepitation is one of the reasons that motor oils as well as other fluids should not be mixed (valvoline with pennzoil etc). Companies each have their own formulas which contain different amounts and types of lubricating minerals and a cross between them can result is alloy precipitates. This is not a hard and fast rule. In a pinch its ok to add a quart of valv to your mobil if your on a road trip and you spring a bad leak. Having enough oil is most essential, but when you get back be sure to change the whole system.

Personally I keep an extra quart in the truck with the tire stuff wrapped and taped in a plastic bag. Just a good idea IMO