Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control doesn't work, Capacitors soldered Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Cruise Control doesn't work, Capacitors soldered Correctly

Hey guys, I have a 95 A6 and the cruise control does not work. I removed the cruise control module behind the glovebox, and took it out. It does not look like the module in this thread...

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1728645

However it has the same part number. Instead of having cylindrical capacitors, it has rectangular ones, and they are soldered just fine. The case of the module has never been opened.

However, my turn signal doesn't shut off correctly when I use it. One way it'll shut off when I turn the wheel back, but the other way, it doesn't do that. I'm thinking the cruise control not working has something to do with the stalk rather than the module itself. Anyone ever have this problem?

Is there supposed to be a light that comes on when you turn the cruise control to "ON"?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

The cruise is probably NOT connected to the problem with the turn signal cancellation. The turn signal cancellation is a mechanical device located on the steering column. The plastic probably just wore out or broke off.

Now, that's not to say your cruise problem is not in the steering column, but, if so, it would be a completely unrelated problem (unless, of course, the piece of plastic that broke off the turn signal cancellation mechanism is now jammed in the cruise control switch).

Bob

Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

My 1995 S6 cruise control did not work when I purchased the car. The first thing that I did was get a can of contact cleaner and soak the end of the stalk where the switch is located. It worked fine for the next 4 years.

If that does not fix the problem diagnosing the cruise control is a pain. You may just want to pick up another multifunction switch from Force 5, Shokan or someone on the forums and replace the entire switch assembly. That would probably fix your turn signal problem and it may also resolve the cruise control issue. Replacing the switch assembly is not that difficult. I did it a few times because the light switch on these assemblies tends to die as the car gets older. There are a number of tutorials on line (see the AudiWorld and Quattroworld sites). Swapping the assembly takes about one hour.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
The cruise is probably NOT connected to the problem with the turn signal cancellation. The turn signal cancellation is a mechanical device located on the steering column. The plastic probably just wore out or broke off.
Bob
Ah, thanks.

Other information that may be useful though. My steering wheel is... loose. I can tilt it up and down probably a quarter inch. It's not the steering column that moves, just the wheel.

I would have fixed it by now (as the steering wheel is just held on by one large bolt), but I don't have the code for my radio, and I don't want to mess with the air bags with the battery connected.

I'll probably end up getting a replacement stalk thing from the junkyard. It should be similar to my corrado (both turn signal thing and wipers thing are connected to one ring like thing that goes on before you put the wheel on.)

I've had my corrado's off before, and it's not honestly that hard (well, disconnecting the wires can be annoying), so once I figure out how to get the code for my radio without paying for it, I'll fix it.

I generally wouldn't worry about it, but I actually do use my cruise control, every time I'm on the highway. I'm HOPING it's not some kind of vacuum leak or something similar.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

I had my battery our for a couple of hours once while changing the steering rack and did not need the radio codes. But, since YRMV, you should get the codes before hand. It sounds like you have more than one problem going on that you need to fix.

Good luck,

Bob