Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 AM
1st Gear
Default CVT Transmission?

Hello, I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2013 A6 with the 2.0T and CVT transmission. Does anyone own this car? I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet and won't be able to for a couple months. I am a bit wary of CVTs in general and I can't find a single review of this car where the test driven model had the CVT rather than the Quattro. If anyone has this transmission in an A6 (or even A4), I have two questions:

1. Does it have the "rubber-band" power issues typical to CVTs (ie it takes a while for engine to catch up with what your foot is doing on the gas pedal)?

2. Is it obnoxious sounding at any speeds, especially on the highway?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Avoid the cvt. buy the Quattro. You will thank yourself if you are planning on keeping the car long. The cvt is unreliable and expensive to fix.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

There were problems with the CVT back when it was introduced in 2005. I have not heard of any problems in later model cars. This either means the problems were solved or there are so few sold that we do not hear much about them. Other manufacturers have reasonably good reliability with the CVT trannys. I would want to see some data or some independent reports before condemning the latest models out of hand.

There is one issue with CVT's that all car makers have to deal with, as far as I know they cannot be rebuilt by transmission shops yet so a swap for a factory rebuilt is the only option if you need a repair.

As far as drivability - you have to try one. Some cars handle the CVT tranny's characteristics well and some are pretty bad. I would hope Audi is better than most.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ManyAudis
There were problems with the CVT back when it was introduced in 2005. I have not heard of any problems in later model cars. This either means the problems were solved or there are so few sold that we do not hear much about them. Other manufacturers have reasonably good reliability with the CVT trannys. I would want to see some data or some independent reports before condemning the latest models out of hand.

There is one issue with CVT's that all car makers have to deal with, as far as I know they cannot be rebuilt by transmission shops yet so a swap for a factory rebuilt is the only option if you need a repair.

As far as drivability - you have to try one. Some cars handle the CVT tranny's characteristics well and some are pretty bad. I would hope Audi is better than most.
Audi started using them at 2002.

There are still cases of failing tranny in the b7 a4 cvt which is used in all fwd Audi. Frankly the b8 or c7 are just too new to say anything yet.