Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decoding Label in spare tire area

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Default Decoding Label in spare tire area

Hello All:

Anybody out there know how to decode the label located in the spare tire area?
Also, 2001 A6 4.2L, full size spare or compact spare?
I had a compact spare but it did not fit the car. I have the 8 spoke 17x8 wheels.

Thanks....Kevin in Baltimore

Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Decoding Label in spare tire area

Kevin,

You need to make sure that your spare tire is the same exact size as all your other tires. This is so each wheel spins at the same rate even if you have the spare on. If you spare is smaller then the other tires it will need to spin fast to keep up with the other wheels. This will in turn cause damage to your gearing in the front or rear end of the car. Make sure you read your owners manual about your spare and all your tires.

I am not sure about the label located in the spare tire area. I will check it out tomorrow and get back with you.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Decoding Label in spare tire area

I looked today at the label you migh be talking about. If this label has your VIN# at the top, then it is a label that dealer user to detemine what options are installed on your car. This allows them to do the best repair work without having to guess what your car may have one it. This also allows them to order the right part the first time. This same label can also be found on the first page of Audi Maintenence Log that is provided with your car when its new. If you have your owners manual and the leather case that holds it, then you should have the Maintenence log too. If you dont have either you might try looking for your manual under your steering wheel. There is a slot there which holds the manual and keeps it out of the glove box. Let me know if this was a help to you.