Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect or Damage? Need Help

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Defect or Damage? Need Help

I have a serious issue with a used A6 that I purchased. The car is leaking water into the trunk and the leak is coming from a seam crack in body of the car, around the trunk. It's on the driver's side, near the bumper and within the channel that drains water around the trunk. Water basically drains down that channel and some of it drains into the trunk. I have attached a picture of the driver's side, where the problem is, and a picture of the passenger side, which appears normal.

The issue that I'm facing is determining if this is a crack that might have been cause by an accident or if it is a potential defect in the car that I have. According to a reputable body shop in the area, seams in a body can crack or break without the provcation of an impact. In my inspection, there are no signs if significant impact to the rear of the car. The structure of the bumper is completely intact and there are no signs of significant body work. My opinion at this time is that if the crack were caused by an impact, then it was a minor one that did not result in significant body work.

I'm posting this here because this is the first A6 that I have owned or even seen close up. In searching this forum, I have found no indications that this is a problem or that anyone has experienced this, for that matter. I'd love to hear from others in this forum that might have more knowledge of auto body construction on the A6.

Here is the crack:

[IMG]local://upfiles/47549/C147705B8EBA423DA84B4C0485C8C9BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Defect or Damage? Need Help

Here is the non-crack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47549/8D124D6D19394837B540AB2C27FCBBCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Go to audi and tell them... WTF IS THIS?
[&:]

Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

This is a 2004 A6 with 48k miles. I have about 7 months of warranty left.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

That's no good! Here is a quick fix for you that should be permenant. Since the bumper and surrounding area where you crack lies is a combination of composite plastic and metal, here is what you do:Go to the hardware store and buya 2 part waterproof, paintable epoxy. Comes in two small syringes and you have to mix the parts equally. Buy the quick set stuff. Apply the mix along the crack with a plastic putty knife (1/2 inch) Make sure to overlap both side of the crack and at both ends. Let completely dry overnight. Put a halogen light or a small heater by the repair in your garage if you can to keep the heat above 65-70 degrees. You can paint epoxy so once it is dried, and if you laid it down nice, go to the delaership and buy a small bottle of paint. Paint code in VIN and on inside door. Paint over it so it is not noticeable. Problem solved! To test, take a water hose and direct the flow of water down the one side of the back window so it flows down the channel that has been repaired.Check for wet spots.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

I would first ask the dealer. It almost seems defective. But if they say they won't fix it then you either have an option to deal with AoA or just do a fix like prbayha says. I might also consider good exterior silicone instead of epoxy. Reason that I am saying that is silicone allows for movement, and I am quite sure whether the epoxy would hold after numerous trunk pounding. If it is fixed by epoxy and holds, then I guess it would be the best. But if it fails after awhile, then I would use good quality exterior silicone caulking/sealant. Don't use the typical butyle household caulk. It won't last at all.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all of the advice. One question that I have is how far might this crack extend both underneath the bumper and then under the weather strip? You cannot see this panel from undernear nor from behind it in the trunk. It seems that the bumper should be removed for a more thorough repair.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

That crack looks like a welded area where 2 metal components come together. If it is under warranty, you should certainly bring it to dealer for repair.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cr!mz

Go to audi and tell them... WTF IS THIS?
[&:]
LMAO...almost fell from my chair.