Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) A6 4.2 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default New (to me) A6 4.2 question

I am picking up an '00 A6 4.2 with 66k, clean carfax... loaded this coming Sunday. Looking for positive reassurance, am I getting a good deal? $12,500.00

Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New (to me) A6 4.2 question

sounds like a pretty good deal as long as there aren't any leaks or anything. only other thing you're going to have to think about is that you're going to have to get the timing belt and all that other good stuff in there replaced pretty soon, and that'll run you probably between $1200-$1500 depending on where you go. if you know a good indy shop you might be able to get it lower than that, but usually it's still about$1000 or so. also check inside the wheel and wheel wells to see if there's any grease splattered in there, because if so either a CV boot was just replaced or is in need of replacing. not too expensive if you can do it yourself. another thing you might want to do is either find someone with a vagcom or take it to an audi dealership and have them scan the seperate modules and not just the obdII computer to see if anything else is throwing a DTC or anything. this way they can also make sure that the o2 sensors are reading where they should be, becuase if not, one of your cats might be going and that's a little salty to get replaced as well. the last thing that i can think of is make sure that the tranny shifts smoothly still and that there isn't any whinning or gearnoise from the differential area, because i speak from experience when i say that that is a really sucky thing to have to replace, i got a hell of a deal getting it all done for $2800. past that though, it sounds like a pretty good deal for only having 66k miles on it.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

well like stang said as long as everything checks out it should be a pretty good deal. Average retail is about $13,400 and low is about 11,500 so you are getting it just below average which is okay. It would of course be better if you could pick it up right at low retail but 12,500 is still okay. I would say that there shouldnt be too much wrong with it right now because factory warranty just ran out not too long ago and you would think that anything that may have been wrong in that time would have been fixed. Also an Audi with 66000 miles rarely has problems unless it was batered its whole life which is also rare with audi's but you can usually see that in its appearance

Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

I just purchased a 2000 A6 4.2 with 125K, sight unseen from a used car dealer in LA for $7000.
It was not the same car as described to me by the dealer, and I of course new it would'nt be.
Described as mechanically excellent and never having been in a wreck.
The last 3 cars I have bought have had clean carfax's but all have had front end damage.
Car was described as being a no smoker- untrue. One scratch on front and rear bumper-untrue.
I have had the car for 3 weeks and have put new tires on, a timming belt kit including water pump and themosdat,
acc. belt kit, new rotors and pads plus spark plugs ect.. Am leaking coolant and have new oilcooler seals coming, also replacing cv joint.
Have to figure out why my ABS is not working. suspension seems to be OK.
So now, what with shipping costing me $1000, I have about 10 grand in the car. I have a very nice car for the money invested
and am pleased.I am LOVIN the easy power of this car!
BENG

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: beng

I just purchased a 2000 A6 4.2 with 125K, sight unseen from a used car dealer in LA for $7000.
It was not the same car as described to me by the dealer, and I of course new it would'nt be.
Described as mechanically excellent and never having been in a wreck.
The last 3 cars I have bought have had clean carfax's but all have had front end damage.
Car was described as being a no smoker- untrue. One scratch on front and rear bumper-untrue.
I have had the car for 3 weeks and have put new tires on, a timming belt kit including water pump and themosdat,
acc. belt kit, new rotors and pads plus spark plugs ect.. Am leaking coolant and have new oilcooler seals coming, also replacing cv joint.
Have to figure out why my ABS is not working. suspension seems to be OK.
So now, what with shipping costing me $1000, I have about 10 grand in the car. I have a very nice car for the money invested
and am pleased.I am LOVIN the easy power of this car!
BENG
holy crap man, i didn't realize you went through hell and back to keep your car going. that sucks they lied to you, that's why i hatecar dealerships for the most part.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

As long as you are not going to replace all that...what Beng replaced, it's a pretty good deal. Try to see if they have any service record and such. Mustang196718 covered pretty much everything. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Sounds like a fair deal to me. I would expect some maintenance issues but this is the case with most cars. The 4.2 is good motor and I've always liked the body. I think you'll be OK.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

Take the VIN to an Audi dealer and get the service history before you purchase the car. If the car has been properly maintained it is a good deal. If the car has not been properly maintained you are in for trouble.