Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately seeking advice, A6 1.8T -97.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Desperately seeking advice, A6 1.8T -97.

Dear fellow enthusiasts.

I recently bought a A6 1.8T -97 and are getting a bit worried.
I have got a very strange noise coming from the back of my car.
The sound is a clonking metal noise. Especially when I accelerate and break but also when I change gears. It is not a "solid" noise, it only appear when the car is changing speed. It sounds almost like if the wheels are loose and moving back and forth, if you understand what I mean. I have checked the lug nuts and calipers and they are all tightly fastened. I am going on a quite long car trip together with my pregnant wife to give birth in Sweden in May and don't really want to break down somewhere along the way. The car is also acting a bit strange at speeds above 110-120km/h (75-80mph), it sort of feels like the car is vibrating from the back. Is there anyone that might have a clue off what this could be and if it would be expensive to fix? (different scenarios/ faults please) I was told by an old friend that it might be the springs/ shocks since the noise sometimes is heard on roads with lots of potholes.

Would be very thankful if someone could help me out here.
I am located in London, UK and know that quite a few mechanics would love to rip us "not so knowledgeable" people off.

If you think you know what the problem could be please feel free to contact me on sundberg1 @ live. com or reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Henrik.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

Could be a rear tie rod end gone bad, a rear control arm bushing gone bad or a rear subframe mount gone bad. I assume (from the 1.8 engine) that you do not have quattro, but if you do, rear diff mounts gone bad.

If you are the type they see coming, you shouldn't have gotten an Audi.

Bob