Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diverter valve hose replacement

Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default Diverter valve hose replacement

What is my best bet for replacing the tiny hose that runs from the driver's side diverter valve nipple (settle down Beavis[8D])? I am referring to the one that iswrapped with some sort of mesh sheath. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Diverter valve hose replacement

15 views...no answer. Say it with me now "v-a-c-u-u-m h-o-s-e."I got off my lazy horse and did some searching on another forum. Those little one time use clamps audi likes to use are a pain in the ***.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
3rd Gear

You answered your own question. V-A-C-C-U-M H-O-S-E AKA a hose that contains vaccum not to be confused with a vacuum cleaner hose.

Use to corect diameter and make sure it is for vaccum - meaning it has a thick wall.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Thanks NH. The diverter valve and TBB replacement project has been a bit more of a pain than I expected. The stock tbb was still in perfect condition to the point that I almost regret messing with it at all. I may have been better offjust changing the DVs.If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I've got to stop at autozone on the way home to pick up the hose and some small clamps so I can put my car back together this evening. A lot of people on audiworld suggsted zipties for the small vacuum (<<<hey I finally spelled it right) hose.

Some notes on my experience: The hardest part of changing the DVs and TBB is getting the stock stuff out. The DV's really don't just magically pop off. I was wiggling and tugging(and cursing)on both diverter valves while prying with a flathead screw driver. I cannotemphasize enough that these were a pain in the butt to pop off. The TBB was a bit easier, but not by a whole lot. You have to be firm, but delicate enough not to break anything. There is limited wiggle room even if you have smaller hands. Before starting this project, have some good small clamps and afoot or two of vacuum hose handy along with some tin snips to cut thoseone-time-use clamps. I messed up the vacuum hose for the driver's side dv pretty good while removing it.

I replaced the TBB with the Silicone one from Achtuning. My hope is that it will last for the life of the car and will retain the stock look and ability to work on the car without having to disassemble the APR bi-pipe. If I run into problems with this part, I will either go back to stock TBB or get the APR bipipe. The Achtuning clamps look nice, so hopefully they will do their job.

Hopefully I will get to drive around today and won't have any disaster to report. I am not expecting any noticeable change in performance. My main goal is to address these known weak points before adding a chip this spring/early summer (graduation present to self ).

Old 12-28-2007, 02:42 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Update:
I got everything back together. The achtuning tbb fit realy good and the clamps seemed to tighten down easy. I used a piece of vacuum hose for the driver's side dv and the exisiting hose one the passenger side (the one that comes bent). I ended up using zip ties for now. First test drive taking her to red line... no problems at all. Everything sounds good. We'll see how it holds up over time.

On a side note, I blew by a parked CHP car during my test run. Luckily, it was unoccupied.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear

I knew vaccum looked wrong but I just followed your lead cause there are lot's of people from the UK on this board and they have some really strange spellings and words for auto parts.I am reading a book on the history ofthe English language and I find it fastenating to see how it developed andchanged over the years.