Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I'm the first owner, always take it to Dealer
0%
I'm the first owner, always DIY
13.33%
I'm the second+ owner, still take it to Dealer
26.67%
I'm the second+ owner, DIY is the way to GO!!
53.33%
oil change?? what's that???
0%
I take mine to a shop~ not dealer~
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

DIY oil change or not....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear
Default DIY oil change or not....

some questions not related to poll, when the car is cold, how long should I wait for the engine to warm up?? 1-2 minutes for the engine oil to cover the side wall?? or don't need to wait? and what's the normal engine oil temperature be...cause the coolant is at the middle so I assume the engine oil is suppose to be in the middle too, but it's not[&:]..somewhere around 1/4....is it normal~~ thanks guys!~~

Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: DIY oil change or not....

I don't really let my car idle, I have the 5 speed tip so I usually wait untill the vac pump turns off put it in gear and drive slowly under 3k revs till engine reaches normal temp. Its not really nessicary to let your car warm up since it warms up best while you drive, and if you have an auto trans like I do, it will hold the gears longer to help oil temp and engine warm up.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear

No need to wait, but take it easy until the water temperature gets up to normal range. Oil temperature will be all over the place. Don't worry about it unless you are pegging the needle. Make sure to use a good, quality synthetic oil. Synthetic flows fine at low temeratures and can withstand higher temperatures than mineral oil.

Bob

Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Wayne.L

some questions not related to poll, when the car is cold, how long should I wait for the engine to warm up?? 1-2 minutes for the engine oil to cover the side wall?? or don't need to wait? and what's the normal engine oil temperature be...cause the coolant is at the middle so I assume the engine oil is suppose to be in the middle too, but it's not[&:]..somewhere around 1/4....is it normal~~ thanks guys!~~
The way I read your question, you are asking how long to warm the engine before doing the oil change. If that was your question, I would say drive it round a few blocks and let the engine warm up.

For the second question. There is no relationship between where the coolant temperature guage is and where the Oil temperature guage is.

During normal driving, the coolant temperature should get to 90 degrees, or middle on the display. The t-stat opens around 87 degrees C, if I remember correctly.

The transmission oil temperature, around 1/4 on the guage, sounds about right. In my vehicle it is only slightly over 60 degrees C. During long motorway cruises at 160 km/h and above, the transmission oil temperature will rise to about half way on the gauge.

Hope I made sense there.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Oh, on the poll, I don't fit any of these.

I get my own oil (Mobil 1), my own filter (Mann) and take it to my local garage to get the oil changed.

I'm getting old for jacking up the car and working under it, then worrying about how to dispose of the oil safely.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

i'm a dyier, even built my own ramps. takes me about 30 minutes start to finish to do an oil change on my '03 4.2.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

My option is not on the poll. I never go to the dealer.. I go to an indy shop specialized in Audi and Porsches, and BMW...
I sometimes buy my parts and taken them to him for install/replcamenent.

AS FAR AS warming up the car, i would say that in general you should always warm up a car before pushing it. Typically keep the revs under 3000 until the car is warm, but don't idle to warm up. Just drive slowly. If you own the 2.7T, the warming up IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST... I drive mine right away but don't push it past ~3k until the car's reached close to 175 degrees. I want the niddle way off the lowest left # (150). My car operates at about 200 degrees, 225 when I push it.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

What about a poll for changing the tranny? I know Audi says it's life time but that debate continues.....I have 200k and never changed- tranny runs smooth but should I do this or a shop? and how much should I expect to pay for an independant shop? How much for the parts (oil & filter) if i were to DIMyself? and is it worth my time?
Thanks