Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downpipe Install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Downpipe Install?

Hi guys, I'm a new user here on the threads but I've been reading and enjoying the scenery for a while...

Finally started a profile to post because I'm doing downpipe pre-cat GUT and I'm wondering if you guys have any good guides for actually getting the downpipes out.

I have the ALLDATA online manual but it blows and I have this guide for the gut .. http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2176162.phtml

I could use anything you might have to add .. personal experience , scanned manual pages, ANYTHING

I've done tons of work on cars, full engine pulls on cars from fullsize chevy's to Mini Coops but the A6 is definitely uncharted territory!

Thanks for any help... Heres an iphone pic of the back end of my A6

its a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line Quattro

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

check audidiy.com in the B5 S4 category, there is a fairly detailed description of what you need to do, on a side note, if this car is a tiptronic, good luck. TIP's dont like to give up their done pipes unless the engine is out

Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nothing77
TIP's dont like to give up their done pipes unless the engine is out
well doesn't that news suck... If that turns out to be the case for me I will be leaving the downpipes in until I have a better reason to go engine snatching.

Edit: Read that guide and it sounds good but any additional info is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by gixxerryder; 10-22-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I have APR DP's on mine, but I have a 6 speed. I also removed my tranny at the same time to do a clutch upgrade.....The TIP'S are a MF'er brother. Good Luck with it!

OOOO

Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Got the pipes torn out almost all the way and it looks like they won't be coming out. Going to head back in to the garage to put it all back together tonight.

The passenger side came unbolted but then not enough space to get the cat past the trans and the drivers side is so obstructed from the topside that we didn't even really get it all the way unbolted.
Realized that the next step in trying to get this all apart would be unbolting the tranny from the frame and removing the tranny mounts, hoping that the tranny would lower enough under its own weight to create enough space for the pipes to come out.
Or unbolting the forward frame all together and hoping the same thing.
with either one I know the drivers side is going to be more than I want to undertake so for now I'm going to leave them as is and wait for a better reason to go pulling the engine from the car, like turbos or something.

Thanks for all the advice again guys.