Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Default Dumb Turbo Question

Feel free to laugh:

I've been floating this forum for a while trying to get snippets of extra info about my car but still have not found an answer to a question that has been nagging me for a while.
We all know what chipping/software does right? increase boost yadayayada.
So how is this possible? We maintain our stock turbos, but just change our software parameters correct......
The reason i ask this is because i keep seeing posts about how people are scared to chip because it may sacrifice the life of the turbos. Well i'm thinking about this logically and how can chipping possibly change the way our turbos work?
Here's my thought.......if an engine is run at 3000 rpms no matter what software is used, the turbos will spin according to the amount of gases flowing through the exhaust. So how does software reduce the lifecycle of the turbos, when no changes have occured? The DV's are in place to divert the extra pressure back to the intake. Is all thats changing is the amount of pressure these are using before diversion? i'm confused........ My logical thought is that the turbos have always been able to create excess pressure!!!!

Please feel free to answer this question.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dumb Turbo Question

When you chip the car you are changing the N75 duty cycle. This in turn keeps the waste gate shut causing more boost to result. The turbos are at some boost levels spinning out of there efficiency rating. This causes more heat more pressure and in some cases more ware. Good tuning and good maintenance are a good defence against a blow turbo