Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knock - Oil Consumption (No Detection)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Default Engine Knock - Oil Consumption (No Detection)

Hello, I recently joined the list of Audi enthusiasts here when I bought my wife a 95 A6 Quattro and I must say I love the features Audi brings to the table....however I am a BMW guy and I am quickly finding out that these are a #@*&$ to work on without a manual. Since we bought the car (3k ago) we have noticed a quick oil consumption but with no explanation. My wife, being the ignorant woman that she loves to be has been running with the oil below the dipstick level and has incurred a newfound knocking in her motor. My first thouught is that the guy who sold obviously got rid of his problem but I am stumped at where I should begin.

Here's a little story on where we are now...if any Audi experienced users are familiar with this problem please let me know. The car currently has about 125k and seems to have been well maintained though it has a few minor electrical problems such as window motor, winshield washer reservoir, and the in2 has been on since we got it (doesnt stay on-figured a service indication). With the oil consumption the car knocks big time-add oil and the knock goes away when warmed up. There are no external signs of a problem...ie. performance loss, smoking, oil spots or even oild build up in the engine compartment-where is it going? I have yet to take out the plugs and do a compression test but its my experience that the oil will burn past the piston and burn out (usually misfire and smoking is apparent) Is this detonation or do I have a piston seperating, rings seiezed, etc. I can take the car in for Diagnostic for $120 but would rather save the money to repair the car if I need a bottom end rebuild. Any help would be more than appreciated!

Mike Fowler
East Bay, CA
------------------
1992 325i
1985 318i (T)
1995 A6 Quattro

Old 02-04-2006, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Engine Knock - Oil Consumption (No Detection)

Sounds like your on the right track. If its not coming out of the motor, it pretty much has to be going out the exhaust. I would run that compressing test and see how the numbers stack up against spec.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Default RE: Engine Knock - Oil Consumption (No Detection)

Yeah I did a compression test and was at 122# PSI on 3 cylinders/150# on the other 3...so there is sign of wear but I think I may have had a valve stuck or not seating properly. I overfilled the engine oil and drove the **** out it then brought it back to where it should be. I dont have the knock anymore and I am not losing oil that I know of. Maybe between that and the techron she cleaned up but I'm sure this isn't the end of my problem.