Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise and Steering Noise

Old 09-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Default Engine Noise and Steering Noise

97 A6 quattro station wagon has now 2 problems.
1.) I drove about 2000miles last month and for the last week I have noticed a low erratic rumbling noise under the hood when the car is running idle.
it is more prominent when the engine warmed up is still present at very low speeds and it seems to disappear with higher speeds.
There is occasional faint metallic grinding and squeaking, also some almost gurgling sound. It does not change with shifting gears or steering.

2.) Over the last year I had a problem with a snapping noise under the front axle, as if something releases under pressure when stering to the left and then back to the right or when driving over a hump. I was told the right control arm needed to be replaced and in fact the problem subsided for 2 weeks after that.
It then slowly reappeared, but no problem with the control arms could be found.

I appreciate any thoughts!

thank you

Old 09-09-2006, 02:49 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Engine Noise and Steering Noise

1. Not really sure on this one. Sometimes noises are hard to diagnose without hearing them. Can you pinpoint the area under the hood where its coming from.
2. Sounds like a sway bar issue. Something with links or bushings, or possible a cracked sway bar. Could also be something with the control arms, tie rods, steering rack, or even the springs and shocks.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

If you hit the snowflake button on the climate control to turn the AC off, I bet the noise goes away. You need an AC clutch or compressor.
I had the problem, and I originally thought my engine was junk.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

Your first mentioned problem, could be a pump. Steering, AC, etc. These, like metioned earlier, are very difficult to diagnose without hearing it first hand. Your second problem, could also be a CV joint going bad. When the boots tear, the get water and other debris in them and cause all kinds of "popping" noises, especially when turning the wheel.

Suggestion, since you have two potential problems that may strand you, is to take it to, preferably a European/German, shop that gives "free estimates". Find out what they diagnose your problem as, then check with the local dealer on the repair or possibly doing it yourself. Again, depending on the problem(s).

I can recommend a place in the Memphis area I trust, if you are near there.

Brian

Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

I just took my 96 A6 Avant in to my audi mechanic. I have a low metalic type rumbleing like a metal marble being bounced around almost somewhere in the engine bay area on the drivers side.

Its going back again to be looked at over again it was hard to find and it goes away quick, I was told a T-belt inspection is needed and it may need the roller. So I might just do that since I don't know when it was done.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 PM

I am suspicious that this is the problem.
I looked at the engine and the sound originates in the front of the engine.
Moreover it goes away when I push the gas pedal and the engine runs fine.
It really sounds like a bad ballbearing, metallic grumbling and grinding and its loudest around the time belt area.

I will have it looked at and post a follow up.
Does anybody know what expense to expect with such a repair?

thank you!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM

its probably a tensioner bearing on the serpentine belt ( fit a new tensioner ) only other things it could be is the water pump or timing belt tensioner