Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Default RE: Engine won't turn off

still using turbo timers lol and yes they do keep the engine running for track times to cool the turbo ( not required on the newer cars ) because its built in to prevent damage to the engine/turbo

Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Engine won't turn off

Best Buy and Audi are not a good combination... I would ask them to undoo the CD deck to see if that makes things work OK. If that dosen't fix the problem I'd look at the ignition switch. The key section and contacts are seperate pieces. The small blade that connects them breaks or bends easily. Since the vehicle has low miles something might be hanging up in the ley-switch mechanism. A long shot might be to squirt a little WD-40 into the switch to see if it stops things from hanging up.

BTW - disconnecting the battery didn't stop the motor because it was grtting power from the alternator.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Help

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Audi A6! It happens sometimes and I simply can not turn the car off even by unplugging the battery. And then it'll work normal for a week and then do it again. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FIXED YOURS! I took mine to the shop and naturally it started working normal and they just thought I was crazy.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about the C5 chassis but the C4 chassis ignition switch was a major failure item. The symptoms of the failure were many and varied, some that I experienced were the car would start but no instruments, car would start but the starter motor would keep running (and if you did not catch it, it would fry itself), car would start but no lights, car would not start. I suppose an case were the car would not stop is also possible.

The ignition barrel that accepts the key and unlocks the steering/shifter had a metal tab which actuated a really cheap plastic multipole switch. Eventually the switch housing would crack and the weirdness would start. The plastic electrical switch (which could be changed independent of the key barrel) was $43 from the dealer and less from China. The China switches would last about 6 months, the OEM switches would last a few years.

I would hope that the C5 chassis had improved switches but I don't know if that is the case. Next time you have this problem try wiggling the key while it is in the off position, if the car shuts down then you have found your problem.

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Manyaudis, thanks for such an informative and quick reply! unfortunately, I could simply not get the car to turn off last night so I had to let it run out of gas which I know is certainly NOT good for it but I wasn't sure how else to turn it off. But once I get it going again, and the problem occurs, I'll certainly try what you said and let you know!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Was this ever resolved? My Aunt is having exactly the same issue. Was it the ignition switch?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Fixed...

I know this is pretty late but I finally figured out why I was having this problem. First off, the mechanics wouldn't ever believe me because the car would work fine at the shop. He thought i was crazy and kept saying it was just where the fan turned for a minute after the car was off. I even explained that the rpms were up AND I COULD DRIVE IT and he still didn't believe me. Even the unlock/lock remote wouldn't work. Finally, one night the car wouldn't turn on (the opposite problem as before!) and the information display would say "press clutch to start engine". I found this humorous considering its an automatic! There isn't a clutch! I had it towed and told the mechanic to explain how i could be making THAT up. But long story short.... whoever had this Audi before me decided to install a sub and did a really poor job sodering the wiring into the fuse box. It turns out the car just had to have that section of wiring redone ($175 is what my shop charged). I would check in the trunk and see if you have wires in there where someone may have installed a sub.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

I was about to say, if someone shorted the constant batter power with the switched battery power that could certainly happen.

I had a CD deck on a twin turbo 300zx that was internally shorted and was sending power from the 12+ constant over to the switched wire and fed backwards to run all accessories, Even with the KEY OUT!! Lol.

I think it was in winter and I stored this car over winter so I don't think I started it, but I'm sure it would have stayed running as well.

Cd deck out, back to normal, back in then running all accessories even with the key out.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

I would assume that the stereo guys crossed something up getting power for the deck. They just need to retrace their steps. As for stopping the car, pull the fuel pump fuse or relay, it will stop for sure! I winced hearing you pulled something for the timing, this might cause a problem, fuel pump is better.
In my old days, I always installed a hidden pump switch in my Brit roadsters to help prevent theft as a few of them could be started buy slapping a piece of tinfoil on the back of the ignition switch, and there was no locking them up. Turning off the pump is sure fire stopped.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

hi i have a 2001 audi a4 when i go to turn he car off it stays running to get the car to turn off i have to pump the breaks repeatedly any ideas??