Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error code P2296 & High Pressure Fuel Pump 2005 A6 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Error code P2296 & High Pressure Fuel Pump 2005 A6 3.2

I thought I would share this problem in case anyone else has this issue. It's a 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro

Symptoms
- At high speeds the engine "jolted" or "coughed" occasionally (once every 20-30 minutes and sometimes not for hours).
- Noticeable decrease in actual MPG and also the instantaneous MPG on the car from 28-30 highway MPG down to 18-24 highway MPG. This also was intermittent. Sometimes it would get 28 and then sometimes it would drop to 18. When it would drop to 18-24 you would also notice a 30-50% reduction in power from the engine. If you hammered the gas, the car would not accelerate.
- Occasional rough running on initial start up of the engine.
- Check engine light on with an error code of P2296
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took it to a very small Audi dealer in DesMoines IA. They checked the high pressure and low pressure fuel sensors on the engine - OK. They checked the undercarriage for damage to the fuel lines - OK. They tested the output the of the low pressure fuel pump (LPFP) in the tank. They stated that the spec on this pump was to put out 6 BAR of pressure and that it was testing at 3.5-4.5 BAR. They recommend either a fuel filter replacement or a LPFP replacement. I had them replace the fuel filter with no change in the problem. There were no LPFP for this car in the USA and it was going to be shipped from Germany so I drove the car home to Chicago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After telling the Chicago Audi dealer what DesMoines had said, they ordered the LPFP from Germany. When I brought the car in to the dealer to replace it though, I asked them to recheck that the output of the LPFP was not up to spec. They tested it and said it was running 100% correctly. They told me that prior to 2005 you tested the output like they had done in DSM. 2005 and after they developed a new pump and you tested it more based on the duty cycle? Anyway, they said they problem was not the LPFP, but rather the HPFP up in the engine. I replaced that through them ($550 parts/$550 labor) and it fixed it! The car now gets 29-31 MPG on the highway and has so much more power than before!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

I've been getting the same code (p2296) together with symptoms similar to those you've described; however, I am also getting an ESP fault. Were you by any chance getting this ESP fault?

BTW... I also have a 2005 Audi A6

Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

My uneducated guess is that the two are unrelated. I was get an intermittent ESP fault a couple of years ago and it was a shorted brake light switch that was causing it.

Are you having any performance issues with the car and the P2296? When my high-pressure fuel pump was going out there was about a 30-40% drop in performance and it was very noticeable!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea how but they have to be related. This is what happens...

When I first start my car everything works great. After some minutes of driving, the ESP fault warning comes up with a very noticeable loss of performance. If I turn the car off and then on again, the fault doesn't come back. One thing I have also noticed is that when its cold outside the ESP fault warning comes up way later (~10 min) than if its hot outside (~5 min). BTW... I have checked my codes and the only one I have is p2296.

I have replaced both the high and the low pressure sensors as well as the HPFP, but this didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Weird. Since you replaced the HPFP already and those sensors...it almost sounds like something electrical. The since it takes longer in the cold, it must happen when the engine warms up to a certain temperature which would take longer on cold days. I don't really have too many ideas. Let me know what you find out. That weird you're getting the p2296 error code which has to do with the high pressure fuel side.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by enrique.b
i have no idea how but they have to be related. This is what happens...

When i first start my car everything works great. After some minutes of driving, the esp fault warning comes up with a very noticeable loss of performance. If i turn the car off and then on again, the fault doesn't come back. One thing i have also noticed is that when its cold outside the esp fault warning comes up way later (~10 min) than if its hot outside (~5 min). Btw... I have checked my codes and the only one i have is p2296.

I have replaced both the high and the low pressure sensors as well as the hpfp, but this didn't change anything. Any ideas?
did you ever fix the 2296 fault code ?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

We got the same problem with our car Audi A4 TFSI, 2009
P2296, At the same time we got ESP fault and the car want start at all so we changed the HPFP and the sensors. But still the car want start. have you solved your problem?