Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Beware! Bad Gas Contributes to High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Beware! Bad Gas Contributes to High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure

2008 Audi TT

First things first, I try to use non-ethanol gas whenever possible in all my cars. Many gas stations selling non-ethanol fuel are "oil company" locations and others are located in rural areas. Pumps at these stations tend to be old; the non-credit card type. They are slow and you can "hear" the pump motor running. If you EVER use one of these pumps and the gas is flowing UNUSUALLY slowly, STOP pumping immediately! This is an indication that the gas may contain water that has leaked into the underground tank. The electric motor in the pump can't handle the water in the gas line either.

This is what happened to me this month. I filled up my TT with a full tank of 92 octane non-eth that contained water. 1/2 mile from the station, the "check engine" light came on and my Audi died. I did not try to restart it, fearing the worst. AAA towed me to the Audi dealership.

The water in the fuel caused a drop of pressure in the line and caused the high pressure fuel pump in the top of the engine to fail, damaging my intake camshaft and cam follower. To be sure, the 2.0 engine and failure of its high pressure fuel pump and cam follower problems are all over these forums (something I somehow missed); and I would have spent the money beforehand to replace if I knew the problem existed. Even though Audi has a TB out on the problem there has not been a recall. My cost was $1630, and a week later when the car stalled again, $809 for a new in-tank fuel pump and fuel pressure sensor on rail. For not catching the bad fuel pump in the tank the first go-around, the dealership picked up the parts cost; $471.16 of the $809.

So here are the TWO things I learned and want to pass on to you:
1) Beware of a gas pump that is running usually slow,
2) Replace you high pressure fuel pump (if you have not already done so) if you have the 2.0 engine.

Frank O'Donnell
Virginia