Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer completes timing belt change...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default First timer completes timing belt change...

Hey all!

Just finished doing the timing belt on my 1999 Audi A6 Avant. 179,000 miles. Heat went out recently. And serpentine belt was shot. So bought the kit, and got it done in about 6 hours. Including coolant, steel bar, and hose clamps, I spent ~$250 total.

Ended up swinging the entire front end out of the way. Made the job 100 times easier for a first timer.

I built the cam lock bar. Less than $15 to make it. Even with the cams locked down, I noticed both of them had moved one tooth after putting the new tensioner back on. Pulled it off and moved things over. All good now. Probably would NOT use the bar next time. Just line things up at TDC, and all is good.

Replaced the thermostat (completely frozen), water pump, pulleys, belts, and took care of a few other leaky hoses (power steering and coolant).

Fired it up, added more coolant (as it went thru the system) and I have plenty of heat, no leaks, and all looks good.

Just took it about 60 miles (no more than 80mph) and she seems to have new life in her! Thanks for all the tips!!

SORRY ABOUT THE PIC. CAR DOES NOT NEED TO BE PLACED ON ITS SIDE...!!!

Attached Thumbnails First timer completes timing belt change...-photo.jpg  

Last edited by levdeb; 03-08-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: photo
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
RMD
1st Gear

Knowing what is involved in doing the Job, Well done!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by levdeb
Hey all!

Just finished doing the timing belt on my 1999 Audi A6 Avant. 179,000 miles. Heat went out recently. And serpentine belt was shot. So bought the kit, and got it done in about 6 hours. Including coolant, steel bar, and hose clamps, I spent ~$250 total.

Ended up swinging the entire front end out of the way. Made the job 100 times easier for a first timer.

I built the cam lock bar. Less than $15 to make it. Even with the cams locked down, I noticed both of them had moved one tooth after putting the new tensioner back on. Pulled it off and moved things over. All good now. Probably would NOT use the bar next time. Just line things up at TDC, and all is good.

Replaced the thermostat (completely frozen), water pump, pulleys, belts, and took care of a few other leaky hoses (power steering and coolant).

Fired it up, added more coolant (as it went thru the system) and I have plenty of heat, no leaks, and all looks good.

Just took it about 60 miles (no more than 80mph) and she seems to have new life in her! Thanks for all the tips!!

SORRY ABOUT THE PIC. CAR DOES NOT NEED TO BE PLACED ON ITS SIDE...!!!
Ah yes, the good old 5 gallon bucket support method. Works about as good as anything. I've used it twice myself. Good to know the car does not have to be tipped on it's side!