Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end 'creaking', help a first time poster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Default Front end 'creaking', help a first time poster!

Hello there, I'm a first time poster but have learned a few things off this forum before. I am not exactly a mechanic but can take a 2stroke engine apart with my eyes closed, and have pretty much every tool one can imagine. I have never worked on my 2001 A6 (2.8) before. I usually leave all car-work for the dealer, as I trust my life/family with the car everyday. This one has me pretty pissed though.

Problem: Extremely annoying creaking coming from front left suspension. Specifically, it's somewhere in the wheel-well (outside the engine bay) but can be heard easily while driving. Dealer says 'it's all fine' and won't figure it out for me unless I pay them hundreds of dollars to 'examine' it, and they won't guarantee any results.

Question: Do I need to know anything special before ripping the wheel off, and taking all the stuff in the apart and examining/greasing everything? Any Torque-specs or general suggestions that the creaking might be coming from? Any chance there's an A6 equivalent to a haynes manual?

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Front end 'creaking', help a first time poster!

Many of the components in your suspension can make noise you have 4 control arms 2 tie rods and 1 anti sway bar link on each side.. There is a kit available 2 replace all suspect components or contact a proffesional.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. Any chance you have a link or a part number for the kit? Also, has anyone here has installed the kit before, and has any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

if you have a 10mm 12 point there are two bolts you can tighen .The 2 bolts are for the suspension arm.
One is located kind of under the battery, You will have to remove the plastic cover which is beetween engine and windshield. Remove the battery. The other bolt is easy to see and access on the driver side.

It is common for these bolts to work their way lose. Hopefully this will help
Good Luck