Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front left side of car vibrating...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Front left side of car vibrating...

Ijust bought an 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and Ihave a quick question, when I am driving at normal speeds (between 0-50mph) my car drives perfect, but once I get on the highway and hit about 60mph the front left side of my car begins to shake...what could be the cause of this? I got my car balanced, and still no luck. A buddy said it probably is the SYSTEM ARMS, could that be a valid suggestion? Anyone else?

Also, when I am about to come to a complete stop and when I hit about 3mph my car sort of "KICKS" before it brakes..Anyone know what this could be? Now, I just got my Audi and I have finally purchased a nice car, and the least I want is to ALREADY have issues...Good thing is I did purchase a 4 year warranty that practically covers anything.

Thanks guys and I hope to be posting here more often.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Front left side of car vibrating...

Does it shake at speedas higher than 50 MPH? Myght have a break issue, take your brakes off and inspect them the disk too.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Yes it continues to shake once it goes over 60mph. Only under 50mphish it does not shake.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

This could be a lot of things..Control Arms, bushings, weak springs, bent wheel, out of balance wheels (you mentioned you took care of this). I would take the advice from plusinfinit and take a look at your brakes. You could have a stuck caliper or a warped rotor. You will know right away because of the obvious uneven wear of the pads. This could shed some light. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

This could be a lot of things..Control Arms, bushings, weak springs, bent wheel, out of balance wheels (you mentioned you took care of this). I would take the advice from plusinfinit and take a look at your brakes. You could have a stuck caliper or a warped rotor. You will know right away because of the obvious uneven wear of the pads. This could shed some light. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

If you suspect a wheel balancing issue, make sure you get your wheels balanced with a Hunter Roadforce Balancing system. This has been known to cure many people's vibration problems. Here's a URL to the Hunter website which has a dealer locator so you can find a Hunter equipped garage near you: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

Well I had a mazda mx3 and my bering started going bad it did not shake the car...and from what i know a bad bearing only makes a grinding noise, roars like a lion lool, so i would not suspect a bead bearing. But after all I AM NEW TO AUDI and they are interesting cars not to call them something else.
Do the folowing preliminary checks:
1. Raise the whell well of the ground, or even both of them, grab the weel firmly and start shaking it from side to side. The wheel should not hgave any play in it. This is a quick method to check the bearing, used on pasanger vehicles. Shake thet wheel hard with bothe hands from side to side. Should feel no play.
2. Make sure your CV shaft is torqued properly. I cant remenber the righyt spec Dealer will tell you for free.(hopefuly). If u don't posses a torque wrench.....go to a shop or buy one.
3. Do a visual inspection of the suspension components side by side, bad side with good side, check that all your suspension components are tight and at the right spec.
4. USE THET 4 YEAR WARANY AND MAKE THEM F...ERS WORK 4 FREE (if your waranty is any good)

Old 12-21-2006, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

bushing, arms, rods, pilot ball?