Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate - help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Front license plate - help

Bought my used 2004 A6 2.7t in a state that doesn't require front plates. Here in Ohio, they're required. Has anyone removed a front license plate holder and feel like helping out a fellow owner?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Front license plate - help

i dont get the question u live in ohio that require front licenseplate but u want to take the front license plate hold off? lol
very contradicting lol

Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 AM

The cheapest way to fix the problem would be to:...you know the plastic ties that the police sometimes use has handcuffs, I was gonna use them andtie my front plateto the grill between the fog lights and put the Euro plate where the Maryland plate is.....unless someone else has a better idea.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

SilverGT. . . sorry guess that could have been confusing. What I'm trying to say is I need the bracket for my car, and I was hoping someone else had one laying around that they'd be willing to part with. Anyone?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

oh ok lol....i say just put it on your dash it works for me for the last 4 years. i just say there is no place for the front license plate.

lol talking about taht i have to go to court for a missing front license plate on my dailly driver hahah. but not the one thtat has the license plate on the dash lol

Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: SilverGT

oh ok lol....i say just put it on your dash it works for me for the last 4 years. i just say there is no place for the front license plate.

lol talking about taht i have to go to court for a missing front license plate on my dailly driver hahah. but not the one thtat has the license plate on the dash lol
In Maryland, the police or the MVA dont go for that windows stuff, you get a repair order to get that fixed or they suspend your registration. I would do what I said above.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

I think some plastic zip ties would look pretty cheap and ghetto....and a plate in the window looks worse than one on the bumper IMO, not ot mention they typicaly rattle.

If you can't find one, just head out to the local salvage yard. There are a lot of A6's out there and all you need is one that still has an intact front bumper with the bracket. Then again, even if you have to pop for one at a dealer I can't imagine the cost would be too high. Maybe you could just find a universal fit that would work.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Costner

I think some plastic zip ties would look pretty cheap and ghetto....and a plate in the window looks worse than one on the bumper IMO, not ot mention they typicaly rattle.

If you can't find one, just head out to the local salvage yard. There are a lot of A6's out there and all you need is one that still has an intact front bumper with the bracket. Then again, even if you have to pop for one at a dealer I can't imagine the cost would be too high. Maybe you could just find a universal fit that would work.
There you go again Costner, pickin stuff apart, Like I said, in Maryland, the MVA dont play around, the ties would be a temp fix until he can get what he really want.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo

There you go again Costner, pickin stuff apart, Like I said, in Maryland, the MVA dont play around, the ties would be a temp fix until he can get what he really want.
Relax. You will notice the first two words of my post said "I think". Ibelieve that makes it clear that I was offering my opinion on the subject and Ididn't tell you or anyone else what to do, merely offered some advice. If it was a temporary thing so be it, but there is risk that the plate could bounce around and potentially do damage to the paint or plastic, so I would shy away from it if possible. You also didn't mention it as a "temporary" fix and in fact said you were going to put a Euro plate on where the Maryland plate was....so that indicates you are talking about a permanent situation.

In MY opinion, that would look cheap and unprofessional. Having to legally have one plate is bad enough, but having two? No thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I did check with the dealer before posting here. I think they wanted $97.50 for the part, and another $50 to install. I said that seems like a lot of cash for a license plate holder, but if I were to buy it, I'd install it myself. He said I shouldn't do that, something about rivets or some such thing.

I like the idea of checking with a salvage yard, guess I'll be digging around in theol' yeller pages to find one. Can anyone tell me if this part is body color matched, or are they all black?

Imight also look at the idea of the tie wraps in the lower grill area, but I don't have my car with me today. I would have to find a way to hide the wraps, and I'm worried about blocking airflow. Is the lower grill functional, or only decorative?

Quick Reply: Front license plate - help