Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector problem

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel Injector problem

A few days ago while driving home from work, my Audi's ESP fault light came on and immediately it was followed by a flashing engine light. The car started to choke and run sluggish, especially at idle and low speed. I took it to a mechanic the next day and the diagnostic test show that the #3 fuel injector is stuck wide opened and is pouring gas into the cylinder.

The mechanic now recommends that I have the fuel injection system cleaned because he said I am going to have problem with the other injectors since one already has problem. He is charging $175 just for the cleaning which seem quite expensive. He said he going to flush the system with a machine.

Does anyone know if this is necessary and is this a common problem with Audi? Is the ESP fault light indicator related to the fuel injector problem?

Mileage is 55,500K. Audi A6 2005 Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

I sent the 6 injectors from my 2005 A4 to be cleaned as the car sat on a lot for over 7 months. I used WitchHunter Performance (www.witchhunter.com) and paid $118 including shipping, but I did the labor of removing the injectors and re-installing them myself. So what your guy is asking may be OK if his R/R labor is included.
As to why an injector got stuck open I guess it can happen, but I don't see how cleaning them can help prevent another one from getting stuck. If there is any gunk it will be in the line and not within the injectors.
By the way Whitchhunter does send you a Before and After chart with their test results so you can see if there was an issue when you sent your injectors.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear

Audi is having serious issues with the fuel injectors in the FSI engines. I would take it to the dealer.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Questions for you zippy gg....I have a 1999 Audi so it may not apply, but how did you remove and reinstall your injectors (is it difficult?). I need to replace #3 and am debating whether or not to let a shop do it. Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

My mechanic tells me today that Audi will not release the part to him unless he can provide them with the printout result from the diagnostic test that show the #3 injector is faulty. Well, his machine does not have a printer so now my car is sitting at the shop like a sitting duck. This is crazy! I spoke with Audi customer care and the parts manager and basically getting the run around. So if I wanted to buy the parts myself for whatever reason, I wouldn't be able to purchase it.

Ziggy, I might consider doing what you did. Can you explain the process of how you remove the injectors?

If anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem, please let me know.
Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

Check with guys like Blauparts, Force Five, or Shoken etc to see what they suggest about getting a new or used injector.

I assume Audi Customer Care is Audi US and not just someone at the place you took the vehicle. If not AUDI US call them.

Tell the guy at the shop your going to purchase a $40 printer at Staples and want him to connect it to his machine and give you the printout - if that dosen't work tell him that you'll bring a camera and take a picture of the screen to send to AUDI.

Then tell him your going to let the folks on Audi Forums know his name and how your being treated. Next complain to the BBB, Mother Teresa, and the local newspaper.

Finally - get your vehicle out of there...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

I had the mechanic shop take a picture and I just forwarded to parts manager at local Audi dealership and I spoke to a rep at Audi US regarding this situation. Hopefully this will do the job.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jwaudi
I spoke with Audi customer care and the parts manager and basically getting the run around. So if I wanted to buy the parts myself for whatever reason, I wouldn't be able to purchase it.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._injector.html

I guess the Audi dealer wants to catch you by the ankle and reel you in there.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy I need some advice

I am having the same problem with my Audi A5 2009 Quattro Cabriolet 55,000klms the mechanic thought it was the plugs and seals so he replaced them and charged me $900aud to do it, only to drive it home and it started chugging at the lights and driving very sluggish. He took it back on a truck and had it for 2 weeks on a diagnosis machine and said it is all fine now. Gave it back to me and we drove it for a week and then it started again, chugging and smoke came out the back, we could smell petrol. He took it back on truck, sent it to Audi to check it out and now I receive this email.

Hi the tests show the vehicle needs 4 injectors , seal kit , inlet manifold, drain oil , new oil filter , spark plugs and coil pack wiring repair

So far 1 hour diagnosis $203.50

Requires 4 hours labour plus parts and oil $3451.80

Total $3655.30

Does this sound right? Is there a easier and more affordable way? Please help

Last edited by nitalie; 05-16-2015 at 08:21 PM.