Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Blown turns into Electric system failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuse Blown turns into Electric system failure?

Hi Everyone,

I have a '99 A6 Q and encountered a weird issue. As I was driving down the highway with my sunroof tilt open, it automatically closed and my door locks automatically unlocked. Next thing, my instrument cluster display unit indicated that my rear right door was ajar and then it flashed and beeped displaying all but the passenger doors were ajar when they were indeed closed. Then my windows, sunroof, locking mechanism and interior lights failed. Everything else electrical worked, radio was fine, even the reverse mirror parking tilt down feature worked. I could not open nor close my windows. My husband attempted to trouble shoot (I trust him since he completely replaced his turbos on his 300ZX TT ; anyway, he noticed that a fuse was blown and he replaced it, thus allowing momentary usage of the windows and all failed functions. However, the fuse blew again. He replaced it with a 15 (orig. 10) and it last a little while and blew. This continued until we reached a 20 and then it would blow as soon as the fuse was replaced.

I went to Audi dealership to seek closure and they couldn't find the issue or source of problem after an hour of labor ($$$). Finally, after having to join the crew and explain the issues, they attributed it to the main electric control box. He said it was running hot and that he's 99% sure that is the problem. So this replacement is risk free, but it's going to cost .

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations or do you think the young certified tech. might be right?

Thanks for your help.
R.[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Fuse Blown turns into Electric system failure?

Only thing I would recommend is never replacing a correct fuse with one that takes a higher amperage. Those are set to a certain amperage for a reason.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Very true. Thnx. Didn't notice any anomalies beyond original problems doing that, but have not changed fuse since.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I recommend having someone pulling the driver's seat out and pulling the backing plate off it and checking to see if the wires for the light for the rear footwell are chaifed. if so, repair the wires, and bind them to the metal mesh so they don't rub on the seat frame. Common problem on A6's and it's a 3 hour job.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thnx. Will definitely pursue this if the aforementioned route fails.

Thanks again! [sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Have you had any luck fixing this problem? I am going through the same thing.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 PM

absoluley right ,this is the onley problem,driver seat inerior light.it is a comon problem with audi a6 .dude you are right.it is a simple fix and doesn't cost nothing.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Yes, I forgot to follow-up to advise. I prayed and asked for help through prayer. Suddenly, after replacing the fuses to see if they'd quickly blow out again, they didn't. My prayer was answered and the problem was fixed. I had faith that it would be without a major expense. It could be attributed to the fact that they pull out the main fuse panel and played around with something down there, but I know that the Lord heard my prayers.
Thanks for asking...Good Luck and God Bless