Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rid of water/fogging inside headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Getting rid of water/fogging inside headlights?

Hey there,

There is a bit of fogging/water/humidity in my front right headlight that really bugs me. How do you tear the headlight appart to get rid of this, and how do you seal them back? Where would water be entering? Also, do you have the possibility of removing the headlights without removing the front bumper???

Thanks a lot!!

Guillaume

Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Getting rid of water/fogging inside headlights?

There are 3 bolts above the light, two are visible and one is in a small hole what you need a tool for. you slide the light out, but protect it with a cloth so you dont scratch the bumper. then stick it in the oven or use a heat gun to melt the seal and pry it open. Re-seal it and your done. Make sure you seal it good so it doesnt happen again.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

Mine was "watering up" on the inside also so I took it apart, resealed, put back together and it did not help!
So, after removing it from the car, I drilled a small hole in the bottom so as to let it breath, and now it stays clear and good.
Dont know if this is proper or not but it worked for me. BENG

Old 05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

how do you get if its on the outside of the light or not? I seem to have an almost yellow looking crusty **** on both of my lights, im hoping its on the outside. Anyone have any suggestions for removal?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gubro30

Hey there,

There is a bit of fogging/water/humidity in my front right headlight that really bugs me. How do you tear the headlight appart to get rid of this, and how do you seal them back? Where would water be entering? Also, do you have the possibility of removing the headlights without removing the front bumper???

Thanks a lot!!

Guillaume
I removed both of my headlights for the same reason. I resealed them with a 3M sealant and it did not work. I think the headlights start to fog on the inside just because of age. I have talked to many people regarding this and not one of them had anything that worked on this problem.

I just opened the covers on the back of the headlight to let them vent and for the most part, it has been a big help.

OOOO

Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: WeezyTT

how do you get if its on the outside of the light or not? I seem to have an almost yellow looking crusty **** on both of my lights, im hoping its on the outside. Anyone have any suggestions for removal?
This is a whole different animal. If the oxidation is minimal, you could use a clay bar and Meguires PlastX to remove it. If the oxidation is severe, you really have no other alternative than to wet sand the lens, clay bar and Meguires PlastX.

I also had this problem. I wet sanded and buffed with Meguires PlastX and my lenses are nice and clear!

Once again, this problem occurs with age!

OOOO

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Joeski

ORIGINAL: WeezyTT

This is a whole different animal. If the oxidation is minimal, you could use a clay bar and Meguires PlastX to remove it. If the oxidation is severe, you really have no other alternative than to wet sand the lens, clay bar and Meguires PlastX.

I also had this problem. I wet sanded and buffed with Meguires PlastX and my lenses are nice and clear!

Once again, this problem occurs with age!

OOOO
I used 1000 grit wet/dry emery ( available at auto supply houses ), and a lot of elbow grease.
Keep wetting off the emery as this keeps it clean, and then I buffed with wax.
Again, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the headlight and NO more moisture on the inside.
BENG

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by beng
Mine was "watering up" on the inside also so I took it apart, resealed, put back together and it did not help!
So, after removing it from the car, I drilled a small hole in the bottom so as to let it breath, and now it stays clear and good.
Dont know if this is proper or not but it worked for me. BENG
Seems you posted that solution a few years ago, so how did it work long-term? Please let me know.
Thanks!