Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hazard/turn signal relay still clattering

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Default hazard/turn signal relay still clattering

can someone please help?I have a 2003 a-6 q I replaced the relay(thinking that was my problem) and the new one makes just as much noise.I've looked at many posts....but still not sure what the problem is.do I need to replace the stalk?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM

I had an issue with my 2002 A6, sounded like static/buzzing sound that would happen at anytime. I replaced the stalk with one from ECS, followed the DIY here...
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec162.shtml

EZ install, works great now with no noise.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 AM

thank you eddy. much thanks for the link...doesnt look to tough..

Old 05-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Default Follow up

It took me a while to find the M12 tripple square that is listed in the DIY.
I got a few odd looks when I asked at a couple of the auto stores around me.
I believe its officially called a spline drive, I found the drive i needed at O' Reilly's
. Cost me 5 bucks..and well worth it.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...?keyword=w1395

Steering wheel came right off after removing the nut. I had read somewhere else that you might need a steering wheel puller, but I did not. It came off by just pulling. Pull slow because the self canceling ring will move easily if you pull too quick. Make sure to use the tape on the self canceling ring to hold it together.

A couple of other things that might help.
The torx screws that hold the air bag on are a pain to remove when the steering wheel is centered. I found it easier to loosen these screws while the wheel was turned about a quarter turn(do not move the airbag it should stay in place), then turn the car on and straighten the wheel, then disconnect the battery and follow through with the rest of the steps.

For replacement I started the screws with the wheel straight, then reconnected the battery and checked my work. I didn't want to have to take everything apart again if I missed something. After all was working I started the car, turned the wheel a quarter and tightened the torx.

The only other thing I might add would be to make sure the Phillips screw driver is at least 2 to 3 inches long. The screws that are on the column trim are recessed. Not sure if all C5 models are the same.

I just did this replacement yesterday and it was very easy if you follow the DIY. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Am I having the same relay issue as you?

(check engine light is un-related)

Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Default Might be

Mine sounded like a gieger counter or like lots of static coming from the hazard switch area...lots of irratic clicking. It would stop when I hit the turn signal switch and start up again after it turned off.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

I recently replaced my turn relay because it was not working (turn signals would only work for a click or two then nothing). The turn signals work now, but I get the same issue (static sounding) from the relay when I just nudge the turn signal to switch lanes. No issue if I put on the full signal to make a turn. Don't have issues at any other time.

That DIY guide looks great, so if it ever gets too annoying I know what to do. I guess I am just confirming that it might not be the relay. Good luck.

@alex might just be my computer but I can't get the clip to play.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

I just had this same issue. Replaced my stalk and its all better. Wont take you more than an hour to do. Just make sure you have all the tools before you start (ie. #30 and 25 torx and that m12 tripple square bit.) Some of the clips are a PITA to remove before you figure them out. (thin tiny screw driver wedged into them will unclip the ones that make you scratch your head) Good luck.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I have been having this issue for three months now. I knew for about those 3 months what the problem was but never had the time or money to take care of it. Recently, after becoming extremely irritated with the sound I decided to take care of the problem.

So I grabbed a can of WD-40 WITH STRAW! flicked my signal to "left" position and sprayed in the crevices and cracks on the top part of the stalk then the same for the "right" position I sprayed in 1 sec bursts 3-4 times for each position. then I cycled the switch left to right for about 3 minutes and repeated the 1 sec bursts of WD-40 another time.

stalk works fine now. buzzing gone.. cheaper and less time consuming than replacing and if you are already going to replace it consider this first the idea is breaking up and flushing out whatever is causing the problem, I could definatly hear a major change in feel and pitch after cycling it for a minute.. it started sounding.. "better"? heh anyways, you'll smell WD-40 for a few days but no more sound if you are as lucky as I

you can probably use less WD-40 than I.. I brought a bit of malevolence to the fix.. so...

it's a 2001 A6 Quattro 2.7T btw