Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello! :) i have a 99 A6 2.8 that just stalled and now won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Hello! :) i have a 99 A6 2.8 that just stalled and now won't start....

My daughters A6 2.8 stalled and. Now won't start.
Towed home home and noticed rather large fuel Leak from an injector -replaced seals, still won't start.
Checked the fuel pressure regulator - cracked screen and bad seal, replaced fuel pressure regulator, still won't start.
Checked the fuel pump - put 12v to it and it runs fine...

Took off hose for intake and sprayed starting fluid and started right away then stalls until I spray more starting fluid.

I don't Think there's there is enough pressure at the fuel rail - is that a fuel Pump symptom ?

Should I just get another (trying to save money ) and see if it solves the no start.....

Appreciate any insight you can supply....

Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

Question - when you took off the fuel filter or the regulator did it seem like there was pressure in the lines?
Question 2 - how much gas is in the tank?

If no to #1, then you definitely have a fuel pressure problem.
If your tank is below 1/4, there's a known issue where the fuel pump intake can come loose from the clip that holds it in the bottom of the tank, and it can float upwards. When this happens, at around 1/4 full it will suck air and you get no fuel. If you've got 1/4 tank or less, try putting some more gas in the tank and see if that fixes it.
Jim

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

Did you check the fuse? #28. Then the next is the relay. #4 behind the driver side foot well cover... You should hear it click.

When you run 12v to the pump, have someone start the car. If starts, then it is electrical issue. If not, then it is pressure issue. Fuel pressure tester will do you wonders.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Any model before 2009 will have problems. Go get a 2009 or newer.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiSline12
Any model before 2009 will have problems. Go get a 2009 or newer.
Right... You send me a check for the difference between the $2,200 I paid for my 01 A6 2.7t and a 2009 A6, and I'll consider it.
Jim

Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys,
eejimm I put more gas in the tank its half full now and no change - still won't start.
I also think that it's a fuel pressure issue - when I took off the fuel filter I didn't get good pressure - is this a fuel pump problem, should I take it out and check to see if the intake hose is loose, that would be great if that was it - if not guess I'll replace the fuel pump.

Is that what you recommend. - This forums assistance is great

Thanks
Ryans

Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Your problem is sounding like a fuel pump failure. Either the electrics (the fuel pump relay) or the pump itself. You can check the relay as mentioned by hxgaser and if it starts, buy a new relay. If not it is the pump. You can change it yourself. I have changed a couple on '95 audis and it is not too bad.

The pump is about $125 (get the Bosch pump rather than Siemens VDO, it has better quality guts). You open the access panel on the top of the tank, pull out the sender, reach in to the tank, unclip the pump and slide it out, disconnect the wires and hoses, connect up the new one and slide it back into the tank. I am sure there are DIY instructions on one of the Audi boards for a '99.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Got it runs great now...thanks for your help...although

You guys are great and save us lots of time and money!

I have it running very nicely now...I did have to change the breaks and after the tires were put on from Belle tire three lug nuts would not turn....i work late and my wife and daughter took it back to Belle tire and they said they would have to drill them out although not if they don’t have the lug nuts.

I took some advise and purchased a lug extractor from Sears (50$) and two turned out one remains like its fused or something. I started drilling it out and have not done that before. Here is what I plan on doing unless you smart folks direct me otherwise:

Drill it to the seat on the wheel/rim - hope it will pull off and then drill into the remaining bolt far enough to put in a easy out as there should be no resistance --I hope.

Please grace me with your wisdom.

Oh another thing her tires are always slowly deflating...I think new rims are in order or good used ones - 99 A6 2.8 215 55 R16 any direction here is a blessing as well.

Very kind regards,
Ryans

Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear

If they over tightened the lugs, then you will need a longer breaker bar to loosen the lugs. If the lugs are rusted to the hub, then get a hammer, and give a good blow to the lug heads a few times. FYI, be sure to use anti seize compound on the lugs.

As for the tires not holding air, didn't you say that you just got some new tires? I would take it back to the tire shop and have them look at it. Could be that they did a bad job of seating the tires or a bad job of installing the valve and stem. They should be able to tell you where it is leaking from.