Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 02 A6/Allroad Key Programming - Not Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Help 02 A6/Allroad Key Programming - Not Fob

Hi new here but have not seen a solution. My wife's 2002 Allroad had the battery run down from sitting 3 months. I charged the battery and went to start and it would run for only a second. Made sure all looked good under the hood and it still does not want to run. There is a yellow light flashing on the dash when I turn the key on. It is a picture of a key. Opened owners manual and it said to keep key in 2nd position for 5 seconds for car to recognize key. No such luck - I have two keys and a plastic wallet key and they all do the same thing - Start but not run. Key fob works fine and locks/unlocks the doors. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks!!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forums.

I hate to tell you this, but your car will not start until your immobilizer recognizes your keys. Unless you have a vag-com, you need to get the car to the dealer to have them reprogram the keys. I could be wrong, but call the dealer to verify.

Immobilizer = security system/pain in ***
Vag-Com = engine code scanner for VW/Audi's + much much more

I hope you enjoy your allroad as much as I lust over them. But my standard avant will have to do

Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Jeff - I was afraid of that - Dealer says to bring it in and I have a toe dolly - I was worried that as an AWD I would need to flatbed it.....Also spoke with a guy that sells Vag-Com on eBay he thinks I have a bigger problem since keys & cars should always remain "married" I will grab the cable and play a little!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
3rd Gear

Don't use a toe dolly it needs to be flat bedded!!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

That is exactly what I thought - Just wondering if I can use the vag-com cable and demo software if I can pull the 4 digit code and take that secret key code to the dealer with the keys if they could program without the car? Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

I have no idea how you program the keys on an Audi with an immobilizer. I have an 00 so no immobilizer. Try to track down a guy with the screen name auditech, he will know what you need to do. By the way, check your private messages.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Jeff, Thanks - I will try to track him down and let you know how I make out - Thanks for the PM and next time I get back to Minneapolis I'll grab you a steak dinner!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Jeff, Thanks for all your help. There must be an Audi God up there because it started up today and ran fine. I guess with the dead battery the air suspension went all the way down. Today I had it go up so it would not look so sad in the driveway - Once I did that car flashing key light went away and she started right up!!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear

Audi god indeed. Sometimes Audi's feel the need to remind us just who is in charge.

Jeff