Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just A quick question!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Just A quick question!!

Hey everyone!

I spend alot of time just reading post for my answers from the search area. But I dont think that I have found the answer this time. I drive a 1998 A6 2.8 Q. I try to keep it in good condition and now have a probem. I took my car to a shop that i use. I took off the rear tires to change the brakes since i heard some squeaking a few days back. when i did the rear passenger side it came off all fine but the Rotors/Disks I bought were the wrong ones (oops) so my friend said he'd turn it then I can go get the right one and replace them monday. we then went to the driver side to take that apart and when we did we found out the caliper was going to need replaced aswell but being it was later at night I couldnt get the part. we put the driver side back and called it good for the night. On my way home stopped at a light and sure enough that caliper blew out. (Im Dumb) so i got the car home parked it and thats where im at. Sorry to type a novel but a little back story helps.

Question one - The store told me the OEM rotors they sell come in two sizes one for 16 inch tires and one not (being i have 16inch tires thats what i bought) Is this how they're sold? what are the right rotors for a 98 a6q?

Question two - I have to change the caliper on the driver side should i change the passenger side as well and whats a good replacement caliper?

Question three - (last one) while searching the board I saw alot about upgradin to the A8 brakes does that work for the A6 as well?

Thanks guys!! Hope someone can shine some light on all this!
Dub

Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

i personally would raplace both calipers just so you dont have to worry about the other one going down the road unexpectedly and having to waste the time of taking it off again,, just kill two birds with one stone and do em both... and 2nd the right rotor for the rear is the one that has the shorter neck, from where surface of where the holes are and to where the surface of the rotor is where the brake pad touches, those were the two options when i replaced mine, and 3rd i dont know about the A8 brakes, but im sure its not that different compared to the a6 but maybe someone can help with that question more than i can. hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned

btw mine is a 99 2.8

Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Like AfStud said, change them both. Don't go through the trouble of changing one only to have to do the other one a short time down the road....

It sounds to me that your car is "hung up" now. So since you can't drive it, I'd take the parts off and take them with you when you go to buy the other parts. Match them up right there in the store to avoid buying the wrong ones again.

I also am not sure if the A8 is interchangeable. But if you take down your old parts, and have the shop pull new parts for the A8 and compare the two, you might get a better idea!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

sweet guys thanks! I'm heading down here in a bit to get the new parts. once i get it takin back apart ill post some pics of whats broken and when its fixed.
Dub

Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Well Im back on the road!! Ill post some pics in a day or so. But what a day! I spent the day on the phone dealing with carquest getting my parts and at 5pm they finally had them. But since the first rotors i bought weren't even close, the two sets that the guy today brought in were so similar i had to buy both sets. But all in all the beast is back. thanks for the advice!!
Dub

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Dubby I'm sorry I missed your questions yesterday, but it looks as if you've learned an important lesson about Audis.

I very seldom purchase parts from a non-Audi knowledgable source like Carquest, Auto Zone etc because much of the time they are not correct. I use Blauparts, and Force Five in Concord NH because they know what questions to ask to insure you get the right stuff.

When I do brakes I always replace pads and rotors in pairs (rear/front). sometimes I can get away with just the pads but usually do the rotors at the same time. If I have a rear caliper problem I do them both because the rears hangup easier than the front. I get loaded-rebuilt calipers for around $100 -$125 each because I'm cheep.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default your third question

I remember that VAST performance has a brake upgrade kit for the b5 s4 using the S8 rotors and what not, but not sure about the fitment on an a6. just thought id thwor that in...