Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Am I being taken by mechanic.. ever hear of this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Am I being taken by mechanic.. ever hear of this problem?

Last week I had timing belt replaced on mt 2000 A6 2.8. 2 days later car wouldn't start. I posted in the General tec thinking it was my battery. it wasn't then thought it was starter. had it towed to the shop that did the belt.

They called back and said along the lines that it looked like bolts around the torque converter and transmission had come loose, and soemthing back there is binding the engine preventing it from turning. Like the torque conv is twisted and catching. They asked if the transmission was worked on before it hasn't as far as I know (i'm 2nd owner).
I'm going down there today to look at it any words of wisdom or actions?

Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Help! Am I being taken by mechanic.. ever hear of this problem?

Doesnt sound quite right. Those bolts dont just come loose.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
gpz
1st Gear

What is a simpler answer? That the mechanic screwed up, the timing belt slipped, and now the valves are knocking the top of the pistons in the motor and not letting it turn over.... or, that some bolts on the torque converter magically came loose just two days after the motor was worked on, and happened to lock up in the bell housing on the transmission, without any warning at all, like a grinding noise as that bolt was coming loose.

5 will get you 10 that the timing belt slipped or else was not properly installed.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

What was the end result here? My guess is they screwed up the belt job, pistons hit the valves, valves bent, engine needs lots of work. Mechanic wants you to pay for it again. What kind of symptoms did you have before the engine died? Can you turn the engine over by hand backwards? What noises did it make? Did it die while it was running and you were driving?

Old 09-10-2006, 03:44 AM
2nd Gear

Reminds me of when my brother took his car in to have it fixed (the repair involved removing the dash) and they told him he needed a new dash because it was cracked. When he got it back, it made all sorts of creaks and the dash didn't seem right anymore.

Basically they cracked the dash and wanted 2gs in parts/labor to fix it.