B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Weird tranny problem when cold and Audi mechanic in/near Hartford, CT

Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird tranny problem when cold and Audi mechanic in/near Hartford, CT

I just moved from WI to Hartford, CT, I drove out here and the car was great for the 1000 mile trip. Now, the last 2 mornings I have had a weird tranny issue, at least temporarily. I have to back out of a long driveway and when I started the car both days the car seemed real sluggish, as if the parking brake was on. I backed out and shifted into drive and it was still real sluggish. It was weird though, I've driven cars before where the tranny was slipping and the motor revs too high for the speed you're going, this was different, the motor didn't seem to want to rev as high, but the car wasn't moving like it should. Yesterday, it went away after a few blocks, today it seemed to last a little longer and I noticed that the "PRND . . ." lights that show what gear you are in on the dash were all framed in red and didn't show what gear I was in. I pulled over after about 5 blocks and let the car idle until it was warmed up a bit, then shut it off and restarted and everything seemed normal, the tranny seemed to shift fine and the dash lights were back to normal, too. I sure hope this isn't the first sign of needing a major tranny repair or rebuild, not what I need right now!

Also, like I mentioned, I just moved to Hartford, CT. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good and honest Audi mechanic in the area. I'm actually in New Britain, which is just south of Hartford. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Before you go searching for someone to replace or rebuild your transmission,you might want to look at the TCM ( Transmission control module )They are NOTORIOUS for malfunctioning,shorting and being defective.

The TCM is located in the most dumbest place you could place such a precious component,under the passenger side floor of all places! where water can creep under the floor and short out the damn thing! Mine seemed to not function properly and i got it replaced,that was many months ago,now it's doing somthing different and i hope its the replaced TCM that i bought used from ebay,if that is the case,i have a place that has one for 100.00

My issues is my 01 A4 1.8T AWM won't go into 4th gear,if i put it in drive,the TCM will shift the tranny into 1st,2nd and 3rd but when it tries to shift into 4th,i get a slight jerk and the transmission kicks back down to 3rd and drives fine.

I drive it in tiptronic mode now,tipping the stick up to 3rd gear,so the tcm won't try to go into 4th gear and make the car jerk.

when coming to a complete stop,the tranny shifts down to 1st gear all by itself as it should,i am good driving around town but if i need to drive someone far,i can't drive it on the high way as the high RPM's will kill my gas very quick and not to mention,it's not very good for the engine.

P.S. When posting on Audiforums,its best to post the year,engine,engine code AWM/AEB ect.. so people know what you have and can better answer your question. I hope my advice helped you out a bit.

Last edited by morpheous; 02-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM
5th Gear

you are in limp mode. do a search and you'll find tons of info on it

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Ya, I forget to mention its a 99.5 1.8T Quattro with auto trans (obviously). I'll read up on the limp mode, I'm assuming you say its in limp mode because of the way that the dashboard gear indicator lit up in all red. I had to do about 200 miles of driving today and the tranny was fine, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Still also wondering if anyone can recommend an Audi mechanic in the Hartford CT area, cause I know I'll need one sooner or later-its an Audi after all!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issue that u have and i changed the TCM and still nothing changed every thing and i was allmost ready to have the tranny rebuilt when a friend of mine asked me if i changed the neutral safety switch and i said no and went bought a new one and after i replaced the dam thing the tranny was fixed , those things are on the side of the transmission driver side under the car , turn out water got to the plug due to rubber insulation failure and shorted the thing , i think i paid around 425 at the dealer , maybe now is cheaper still i will never buy a vw/audi with auto transmission ever .