Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed!! 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and the dealer just slapped a $6,900 repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

please report this dealer to audi usa... why would they charge extra labor to do the alternator... they already have the freekin car in sevice mode for the timing belt... just tack 1/2 hour for the alternator, and 275 for an oil change????

this dealer is stupid.. what dealer was it? was it in the gold coast?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

go somewhere other than audi for those repairs.

I brought mine in and told them I just completley tested my Injectors. I would like an estimate to reflash my ECM. ( Because I can't do that myself)
All I got was a $150.00 bill for an estimate to replace my injectors for $1500.00.

Fuel Injection service is $200 for a $4 can of cleaner.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
LME
1st Gear
Unhappy

Originally Posted by nickos
I have a Audi A6 2.7T 2001. Recently the Brake lights and Battery light went on. And after reading the manual, it was recommended that we seek expert opinion. We went to a dealership in downtown Chicago and they performed a diagnostic check. And came up with a mind-boggling number of repairs to be done. What I would like to know as an answer are -

I will put across a list of repairs and the prices they have provided. And would like your advise on what is a fair price. And what should my talking points be against each of the listed items [what I can compromise on i.e. take non-OEM parts]. Is it advisable to go to an independent Audi mechanic/technician to get these repairs? And can you recommend me one close to Chicago downtown who can get this done well and have a great reputation to service Audis?

Optional Information:
Year: 2001
Make: Audi
Model: A6
Engine: 2.7T

Already Tried:
I have gone to a dealership for an initial diagnostic and they have given me a list of repairs to be done.

1. Replacement of Alternator. Labor $725. Parts - $790
2. Replacement of Battery. Labor $145. Parts - $145
3. Transmission output seal. Labor $507. Parts - $76
4. Timing Belt. Labor - $1232. Parts - $909
5. Replacement of Left front outer tie Rod. Labor $220. Parts - $114. Alignment - $199.95
6. Replacement of headlight washer pump. Labor - $290. Parts - $95
7. Power Steering Fluid flush - $195
8. Coolant Flush - $195
9. Fuel Injection Service - $209
10. Brake Fluid Flush - $189.95
11. Minor Service (Oil change, brake inspection, chassis lubrication, top off all fluid reservoirs) - $275.

The items above don't include tax and shop supplies. Taxes are applied to parts only and shop supplies are a percentage of the total and top out at $25 per repair.
I see this all the time with dealerships. When they don't want to do do work, they "politely" decline by giving a ridiculous estimate.

I'm a bit... surprised to see all of that work come up needed at once. What's the scoop?

Also, there are some great independent Audi and German shops in the Indy area.

One last thing - don't be scared to go with used parts. I sell engines, which you don't need, but when my Audi needs parts I always go used except for electrical stuff. I typically save about 75%.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Latest Update
-------------
Dear Members:
This concludes my update. After involving a Independent Audi technician I found on Craigslist. He spent 15 minutes on the car and came up with an estimate of net total of 14 hours. He works for another Audi dealership. And we signed off on the note that I would procure the parts from AutohausAZ.

In the meantime, I had escalated this issue of dealership estimates to Audi of America. They responded back 3-4 days later and while not acknowledging the fault of the dealership, they offered to mediate. Net net. they got the dealership to make all the repairs at a cost of $2480/- + taxes [ from the initial estimates of $6900 + taxes]. I decided to go with the dealership for reasons driven by convenience.

I am "told" that I would be getting OEM parts and will be backed by a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on all the repairs. So, as I write this Xerxes (my car) is sitting in the dealership waiting to be worked upon.

I am left wondering at the selflessness of the forum members in helping out people like me. This has been a great learning experience. Thank you!!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 AM
4th Gear

{Shatner} Now we're negotiating! {/Shatner}

Good job.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

If the shop labor rate is about $180/hr like where i live, the reasonable price for the service (everything) should be about $4500 or much less. This estimate is suck because the service adviser did not give you any break for many labor overlap. When they do the timing belt service, the front bumper is removed and the carrier is moved out. Replacing alternator and headlamp washer pump will take 10-15 minutes. Coolant flush is unnecessary since doing timing belt/water pump the technician should drain most of the coolant out for you. I wouldn't take the injector service (waste of money), tie rod end replacement: 15 minutes labor. Try to save money by replace the battery your self.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
LME
1st Gear

Originally Posted by treelimb
If the shop labor rate is about $180/hr like where i live, the reasonable price for the service (everything) should be about $4500 or much less. This estimate is suck because the service adviser did not give you any break for many labor overlap. When they do the timing belt service, the front bumper is removed and the carrier is moved out. Replacing alternator and headlamp washer pump will take 10-15 minutes. Coolant flush is unnecessary since doing timing belt/water pump the technician should drain most of the coolant out for you. I wouldn't take the injector service (waste of money), tie rod end replacement: 15 minutes labor. Try to save money by replace the battery your self.
What. the. crap.

$180/hr?