Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Serpentine belt tentsioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Default Help with Serpentine belt tentsioner replacement

Hello! can someone please give me a hint about removing the serpentine belt tensioner assembly on a 2002 A6 with 2.7t???
Is their is a bolt through the center of the tensioner that holds it place or not??? It looks like you replace it as a whole asembly..Hopefully someone can help out.... Thanks!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help with Serpentine belt tentsioner replacement

Try this link- it's an Audi DIY wedsite and it shows how to replace a timing belt on a 2.7- maybe it will give you some ideas-

http://www.audidiy.com/c5a6.html

Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help with Serpentine belt tentsioner replacement

ORIGINAL: galenishman

Hello! can someone please give me a hint about removing the serpentine belt tensioner assembly on a 2002 A6 with 2.7t???
Is their is a bolt through the center of the tensioner that holds it place or not??? It looks like you replace it as a whole asembly..Hopefully someone can help out.... Thanks!!!
There was a thread about this a little while ago, so a search should prove fruitful....

However..

Yes, there's a bolt through the middle of the tensioner. IIRC, it's a 10mm that's in fairly tightly. Take out the intake snorkel, pull out the auxiliary fan on that side and you'll have plenty of room to work (well, plenty by Audi's standards). Before you touch the bolt, however, make sure you release the tension on the serpentine belt, as it's likely to go flying if you don't. get a 2" or so breaker bar with a 18mm (I think it's 18) socket on it; that'll give you enough leverage so you don't kill yourself. Also, if you're planning on resuing it, make sure you pin it in before you remove it from the car. (Once you take out the fan, there's an ear on the rotating arm that lines up with a hole in the non-rotating part. Lay into the wrench until these holes line up, then stick a 4mm allen wrench though the holes. It makes like a lot easier later on if you're resuing it).

You generally replace the whole assembly. However, it's possible to source the bearings on the pulley and rebuild just the pulley, but it's not a terriably expensive part (about 80 bucks). I'm not sure of the torque value for putting the bolt back in; it's tight, but don't go apes*it on it....it's an alumimum block afterall!

-Red.