Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation in Acceleration from a Stop

Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

Ya.. I'd try the recalibration first.. If that doesnt do it, take it back to the dealer again and insist they look into it.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:30 PM

i think this is a normal finding. this car is normally equipped with a dual clutch for normal and sport drive to improve fuel efficiency. try stepping on the gas hard so the car would switch to sport. unfortunately its gonna switch right back if you go back maintaining gentle (gran pa with a hat) drive,( just joking). but seriously try that.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
My car did that when I first got it. The computer learns that you are driving like a grandma and anticipates hesitant starts. TRY THIS get on the highway and drive it like your Mario. It will stop hestitating, Do that once in a while and it will keep it from coming back. There is a tiny little german noam inside the ECM that learns.

There is another way I think you turn the key on, not start and press the accelerator to clear. I'll get back to you on that to clarify...so what for my next post.

So I def do not drive like a granny. I am a drag racer at heart and that is why I am so annoyed with the problem. When I brought it up at the dealership, they said the same thing....that maybe the person before me drove it ultra slow.....but it has been over a month now, so I think the ECM should have made that adjustment by now.....maybe my A6 just isn't catching on. I always drive her like I stole her.....

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

So I dropped her off at audi again this morning. I will keep yall updated with what they say. I told them that I do not accept that this car just does this, because the particular tranny that it comes with.....

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

If you have a sport mode use it. I'm pretty sure you should have one....that said, an Audi is not a drag car. Flush all the HP specs you read on paper down the toilet. An Audi is an adaptive car that is designed to drive a certain way. In the base versions, they are programmed to be comfortable and have power on the highway. Not designed to be drag raced. The transmission ECU is designed to help you gear down for turns, maximize the Quattro to improve handling and to help you avoid an accident or make a tight turn faster than you should. I have an S-Line A6 and it is not a drag car by any means. The power is split between all 4 tires and the transmission knows this. It will adjust the power output to make for a smooth launch. Audi does not give a rats a$$ about drag times. That’s not what the car is about. In a yank muscle car, you floor it and tires spin and spin. There is smoke and a big show. But once moving, American muscle cars are simply outmatched in performance and handling. If you want a car to drag race civics in, you should have bought an old FWD GTI or something.

If you floor it, the car should shift down and go. No tire squealing however...nothing that would detract from your control of the car. Drag cars do not handle well, they are designed to go straight. Audi's are made to handle turns, snow, hard driving without losing grip or vehicle control. VERY different from a muscle car. On try pavement, an Audi will never allow power to fishtail the car.

You may have a legit problem, but I suspect that it’s the “American car to Audi learning curve” that you are suffering from.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by frizzlefry
If you have a sport mode use it. I'm pretty sure you should have one....that said, an Audi is not a drag car. Flush all the HP specs you read on paper down the toilet. An Audi is an adaptive car that is designed to drive a certain way. In the base versions, they are programmed to be comfortable and have power on the highway. Not designed to be drag raced. The transmission ECU is designed to help you gear down for turns, maximize the Quattro to improve handling and to help you avoid an accident or make a tight turn faster than you should. I have an S-Line A6 and it is not a drag car by any means. The power is split between all 4 tires and the transmission knows this. It will adjust the power output to make for a smooth launch. Audi does not give a rats a$$ about drag times. That’s not what the car is about. In a yank muscle car, you floor it and tires spin and spin. There is smoke and a big show. But once moving, American muscle cars are simply outmatched in performance and handling. If you want a car to drag race civics in, you should have bought an old FWD GTI or something.

If you floor it, the car should shift down and go. No tire squealing however...nothing that would detract from your control of the car. Drag cars do not handle well, they are designed to go straight. Audi's are made to handle turns, snow, hard driving without losing grip or vehicle control. VERY different from a muscle car. On try pavement, an Audi will never allow power to fishtail the car.

You may have a legit problem, but I suspect that it’s the “American car to Audi learning curve” that you are suffering from.

Bahahahahaahahahahaha! I love this reply. I do have sport mode. It is fun, but I would not use it on a daily basis. I am not drag racing this car. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I know quite a bit when it comes to drag racing. I am simply saying that my A6 has a VERY NOTICEABLE hesitation from a stop to a go. I can totally understand and appreciate the appeal of the handling characteristics etc of an audi. I'm not trying to break the tires loose or fishtail all over the place. Just simply what the car to do its job.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

so did you drop the car to the dealership? any updates?

Usually the hesitation happens in any car if you don't come to a complete stop, but then try to briskly accelerate.
Ex: the red light changes green exactly while you're braking and close to come to a full stop (so still moving) in the second lane. You see in the first lane a Lexus pulling away and you tell yourself : "Damn, I have an Audi, I gotts to get ahead of this peasant" and you "floor" it.
(Don't worry, you're not the only one in this category. Plenty people do it on a daily basis as they have to "own" the stop light takeoff).
If you indeed come to a complete stop always and the car still hesitates when taking off, then you may have a problem. I would be curious to see what the dealer's diagnostic is.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Default I have a similar problem.

I have a similar problem with my '01 2.8. I expect to depress the throttle slow & smooth and have the car respond accordingly, but there is nothing happening for about the first inch of pedal, then it takes off.

This only happens from a dead stop & the car drives & performs beautifully otherwise. I would normally be looking for a faulty throttle position sensor or something of that nature.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 AM
3rd Gear

Maybe your throttle butterfly flap is gunked up... Did you ever clean your throttle body?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by chefro
Maybe your throttle butterfly flap is gunked up... Did you ever clean your throttle body?
Good point, I'll have to give that a try.

Any suggestions on a cleaning solvant for this type of mantainence?

Thanks,
Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation in Acceleration from a Stop