Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Install Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Default HID Install Need help!!

Im trying to install my new HID lights and I cant figure out how to get the old headlight all the way out....i can take it out but then there is the wire and all that i dont know what to do with...if anyone has a write up or can point me in the right dirrection that would be great seeing as i dont have a headlight right now. I tried searching but could not come up with anything of help

Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HID Install Need help!!

Polka Salad, sorry this has nothing to do with your question. But has anyone ever told you that your avatar picture looks like 'the Stig' from the British Auto show 'Top Gear'? I love that show and I couldn't help it.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

Are you talking about taking the whole HEADLIGHT out or just the old bulb? Mine was very easy and straight forward. Remove the clip that is holding the bulb in, take the 2 wires off of the old bulb, new HID bulb fits right in the old spot and clip back in and connect wires, done!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

if you are planning to take out the whole headlight assembly,
try do the clear corner light at same time.
and link here.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext44.shtml

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Here are step by step instructions to replace HID D2S bulb on the driver side.
This is the low beam xenon bulb. Just to clarify it is possible to replace just the bulb, without having to replace ballast, remove bumper, replace whole lamp assembly or get electrocuted.

Bulb Spec: 4300K PHILIPSD2S HID xenon 85122
Bulb Price: $44 from ebay for New. HID Concept ebay store.
Car Spec: 1998 AUDI A6 Quattro with Xenon ( some audis have Halogen, cheaper but not as cooler)

Total time for a first timer: 1 hour ( I was a first timer)

NO TOOLS REQUIRED!

THE BATTERY NEED NOT BE UNPLUGGED OR FUSE NEED NOT BE REMOVED.
BUT MAKE SURE KEYS ARE OUT AND ALL LIGHTS ARE OFF.

Removing Old bulb:
1. Open the hood
2. Look carefully right behind the lamp inside the engine compartment. There are two clips holdinga BLACKplastic cover (with two cables plugged in the centre of the cover)
3. Unclip the cover using just thumb pressure.
4. Push aside the cover and you will see the Xenon Bulb (lightening bolt sign) black plug with a red ring. At this point, it may help to place a large bundle of cloth under this assembly incase you drop the bulb/caps while removing it.

5. twist the plug gently (it can handle decent pressure) anticlockwise ( looking from inside). The plug will come out uncovering the bulb held firmly in a plastic ring
6. Very carefully twist this plastic ring anticlockwise, so as to no drop it or the bulb in the engine compartment. The bulb and the plastic ring comes loose very easily.
7. With both hands hold the bulb and the ring together and take it out. ( the cloth will help if you drop it!)

Installing New bulb:
1. Do not touch the glass of the new bulb. It leaves moisture marks and can cloud the bulb.
2. Examine the bulb holder assembly in the car. You will see a small black plastic pin on the edge of the holder ring inside the car (not the ring that came loose with the bulb but the one on the lamp assembly). The new bulb has a round cut-out the size of the pin. When you place the bulb, the pin should fit into this round cut on the bulb edge. But dont place the bulb yet.
3. The pastic black ring that came off when you took out the original bulb, fits snugly after twisting clockwise. However practice this a few times before you plan to put the bulb in. It only takes slight twist.
4. Once you have figured out how the plastic ring aligns, twists and fits, you are ready to do it with the bulb.
5. With left hand place the bulb in the lamp assembly holder with the pin on the assembly holder aligning with the cut on the edge of the bulb. Hold your left hand firmly in place so as to not loose this alignment.
6. With you right hand, place the pastic ring (that you practiced twisting in place earlier). Twist it clockwise (as seen from inside) to snuggly hold the bulb and the ring together on the bulb holder. Do not fumble or else you may loose the bulb and the ring in the engine compartment. I found this to be the only challenging part.
7. Place the HID plug with electric bolt mark on the new bulb and twise clockwise.
8. Take out any cloth you had in place to avoid loosing the bulb in the engine compartment.
9. Start the car and test everything
10. Align the black pastic cover and pull the clips over.
11. Close the hood and you are done.