Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID kits? What are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Default HID kits? What are your thoughts

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and to Audi cars in general. I currently own a Mazda RX-8 and it's my baby. My younger brother just got a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro. I am by no means a rookie when it comes to working on cars. I have done a lot of work to my RX-8 and I'm willing to help my brother out with his car. He wants to upgrade the headlights to something brighter. I have HID on my 8 and I love them. The question that I have is what would be required to upgrade his lights to HID. I was looking at multipe kits and I called www.automotivelightingusa.com. They have kits that are designed to go into the factory housing and plug into the factory harness. Will these kits work with my brothers car. I have two links posted below for reference. His headlight housings right now have a capsule-like opening for the low beams with the high beams being to the outside of the capsule on each side. When I called those people, they said that the 2002 A6 has projector housings regardless of the OEM lighting configuration. Does this mean that the kit will go right in and will have a good cutoff like an OEM HID configuration. Thanks for all your help.

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...oducts_id=1341

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DD...it-101-85.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White...4506.m20.l1116

Last edited by Gdawg522; 05-27-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear

DDMtuning has good reputation, but I am one of those old fashioned guys who do not believe in HID upgrade kits in halogen housing, even with the projector style reflector. Check out the following website.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

But there are many people out there who upgraded without a complaint. Including you on your RX I guess...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Yea I read through his site but it doesn't seem that he gives a lot of relevant information for current lighting systems. I feel that the HID kit will give a significant upgrade over the halogen system in place now. Has anyone else on the forums done this upgrade to a 2002 + A6. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Gdawg522
Yea I read through his site but it doesn't seem that he gives a lot of relevant information for current lighting systems. I feel that the HID kit will give a significant upgrade over the halogen system in place now. Has anyone else on the forums done this upgrade to a 2002 + A6. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
That article is out of date, but very informative. Take it for what it is.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

Go to Xenondepot and get the extreme kit, that’s a good kit for the price. You can buy the plug and play type or a kit with a harness direct to the battery like the xenondepot kit, the harness type is safer but harder to install. The halogen projectors on your brother's A6 has a wider focus than a HID projector and it does not have that sharp cutoff like a HID projector. It also have a rectangular opening on top of the beam for seeing the road signs, some people call it a squirrel cage, which may blind oncoming drivers.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Ok well I'm going to order the 55 Watt DDM Tuning kit with 5000K bulbs. I also ordered the 35 Watt variant for his fog lights with H3 bulbs. And Lastly I ordered the Raptor 35 Watt kit for the fog lights in my RX-8. I will keep you guys posted with regard to the install for all three kits. I ordered a relay harness for each kit as well because I don't believe in running the HIDs through the stock wiring system. I was also told by DDM that my brother's A6 will require a warning code eliminator plug in because the Audi cars have bulb out indicators for the headlight and tail lights. Does anyone else on the forum have any experience with DDM Tuning. From the reviews that I've been reading online, their products seem to be of good quality and they back them up with lifetime warranties for the ballasts and bulbs.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Gdawg522
Ok well I'm going to order the 55 Watt DDM Tuning kit with 5000K bulbs. I also ordered the 35 Watt variant for his fog lights with H3 bulbs. And Lastly I ordered the Raptor 35 Watt kit for the fog lights in my RX-8. I will keep you guys posted with regard to the install for all three kits. I ordered a relay harness for each kit as well because I don't believe in running the HIDs through the stock wiring system. I was also told by DDM that my brother's A6 will require a warning code eliminator plug in because the Audi cars have bulb out indicators for the headlight and tail lights. Does anyone else on the forum have any experience with DDM Tuning. From the reviews that I've been reading online, their products seem to be of good quality and they back them up with lifetime warranties for the ballasts and bulbs.

You will not need the warning code eliminator. Well at least on my 2000 I didn't. I had 35w and now a 55w kit with no warning lights. HID fog lights are obnoxious. I strongly encourage you to reconsider them, they blind everyone on the road. Also when your high beams are on, the fog lights turn off. This on/off nature is very hard on HID bulbs, same reason you don't put HIDs in your high beams. Factory high beams are either halogen or use the bi-xenon mechanism of the low beam, but no dedicated HID high beam bulb itself.

Last edited by Jeffla; 05-28-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

The cops are not going to like those 55W HID low beam and HID fogs