Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dont know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Default I dont know what to do

I am thinking about buying a 2002 A6 2.7T with 113K on it. I have test driven the car and it drove good,but when I first started the car I can smell oil burning, but it only last about a min. The engine ran smooth the automatic shift great plenty of power. I put about 40 miles on it a mix of interstate and city traffic the car like I say ran great,but there is a few issues with it.

1- The smell of oil burning the tech say it was from the turbo the car hadn't been driven in a while.
2-The air bag light coming on a mile from the dealership.
3-Not sure what's been done on the car, I know its been service at Tom Wood Audi in Indianapolis I got the car fax on it and I call the dealership myself.
4-The display between the speed and tach kept blinking.
5- The check engine came on twice,but went out.

They are asking 8K for the car,so should I buy the car,but see if I can get them to take a lower price,or should I just keep walking.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

There are plenty of cars out there ... these are issues that you cansee .. what about the additional issues you can not .. i would definitely walk . don't make an emotional decision to buy ... make an analytical one to walk ..

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

$8 K is waaaaaaay tooooooo much - even if they fix all the problems, give you a 90 day warantee and do the timing belt. Ifg they do those things, I would consider $5 K.

I'd say "as is" of some of the things fixed - $2K maybe $2.5K

Read the following current posts and you'll se why!

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=156505

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=156445

Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM

The check engine light turns out to be a bad gas cap and they say that the airbag light is cause by a bad sensor in one of the seatbelts and if its the airbag system its self they will pay to have it fix, but I am not sure still.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

don't do it .. you are getting the silver tongue of a used car salesman ... it is allmost NEVER the gas cap .. you have a failure of the evap system .. they can reset the code and put a gas cap on and show you it is fixed . what they don't tell you is OBD2 evap test is only done under certain conditions and unless you drive the car under those conditions you wont see it for a while.
The air bag could very well be the seat belt buckle .. it is common .. but who sells a car for that money and leaves everything broken for prospective buyers to see .. RUN ..

BTW as a point of reference I payed 1,000 dollar for my 2,000 A6 but it does have 350,000km on it.

Last edited by Theiceman; 09-13-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM

I forgot to tell yall that they will give me a six month warranty and 1100 for my 97 Saturn SC2,which is 600 lest then I paid for it. I have the car with me they let me bring it home to keep over night, but I taking into account everything that is been said and so far its 3 walks and 1 maybe.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

My perspective on wrenching might be a little different around here as I have spent the last 4 years (post Audi S4) building a Jeep Wrangler for off-road and then beating the hell out of it. A good mechanic can temporarily fix / mask / make work most any problem for the short term. I’ve even seen one guy pull a leaf spring to use as scrap metal for the portable welder to fix cracked frame.

You are seeing indicators of masked problems. Intermittent engine light? Park the car and mail their keys back. I don’t agree with some folks here that you should buy a Honda and go cheap, but put yourself in a good position.

Also, you should always walk away from a dealer at least once to see what their final price is.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM

I am going to take the car back when I get off from work and pick my Saturn up and look and see if I can found another. I know the trade in value is between 5 and 7K,but. I guess I move on even with the warranty they will give me for six months.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear

You are doing the right thing. But watch it! You made a mistake in handing over the keys to your Saturn and you will play hell to get them back!

Bob

Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Bob,

I thought about that,but they were cool about it, they didn't pressure me and told me to keep in touch .

Quick Reply: I dont know what to do