Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:16 AM
1st Gear
Default I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. A few days ago I posted a thread titled "What's that noise?". Well, I can answer that myself. On the A6 there occasionally seem to be a rattling noise emitting from the driver's side rear wheel. There's numerous possibilities including heat shields, dust shields, loose sway bar bolts, loose wheel caps, even down to emergency brake cable having too much play and needs to be adjusted to name most of them. But it turned out to be--(are you ready)-- "BRAKE PADS". First, break the bolts before jacking. Second, jack the car with the emergency brakes applied and secure with a stand. Third, release the e-brake SLOWLY as car may roll a little. Fourth, take off the wheel and make sure the rotor can turn with the force of hands. The front pad has a little play hitting against the caliper which makes the noise. There are two bolts on the back of the brake caliper. Use 5/16 Allen wrench to remove them breaking the top one first. Slide caliper off and remove shoes. My brake shoes for 2000 A6 4.2 w/o sport susp. has springs on the back of them. "I" took the springs and bent them to fit between the open back of the caliper when reinstalling and slid them to the walls both inboard and outboard. Reinstalled caliper and wheel--took it around the block---THE RATTLING IS GONE!!!!!! This is the way "I" did it and it worked but I must warn everyone taking this advice that I'm no mechanic and what I did may not have been the proper way to do it but guess what? I'd rather suffer the inevitable from my own neglegence than from some ASE certified mechanic who forgot to put something back because he's stressed or hungover. My car stops just as good as the day I bought it and I'm proud of myself for not going to dealershit and and paying a arm and a nut. Sorry for TMI but your guys would do the same for me. Any advice please don't hesitate to reply. PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job!!

Old 03-27-2006, 03:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks brother. It was one of those things that wouldn't let me sleep so it had to be done whether by me or the guys with the pursuasion to sell but not the experience to fix it right while raping you. Hope this help our future Audi Enthusiasts.