Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about to admit defeat - transmission mount > me

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Default I'm about to admit defeat - transmission mount > me

Trying to replace my transmission range sensor. I have 2 of the 3 transmission mount bolts out and the 3rd one has been broken loose, but it's in such an impossible place, it's taken me hours to break it loose and get MAYBE 2 threads!!!

This is driver's side mount - top bolt. I have the 3.0, so there is an exhaust pipe that runs RIGHT next to it - I can barely squeeze my fingers through, but if I do, I can't squeeze a 8mm socket w/ extension in there (big hands AND the car has already eaten one 8mm hex socket - had to run to the parts store for another). I've trying to get the socket to come in from the rear (sorta following the exhaust up) and I can fish around for 10min before I get it seated in the bolt, get one or two cranks of the ratchet and then it'll pop out (I HATE using elbow joints or whatever they're called - this isn't possible w/out one, but it binds so easy b/c of the extreme angle).

Anyway, I have the tranny supported by a jack & piece of wood. Out of frustration, I removed the 4 little bolts for the subframe brackets (2 on each side) and loosened the 2 big bolts (1 on each side) and dropped the subframe about 1/4" (maybe 1/2"), but am afraid to go anymore b/c I don't know how long the 2 big bolts are. If the exhaust wasn't in the way, I'd be done in 5 minutes. Even IF I do get this damn bolt out, I have NO idea how the hell I'd get it back in there. I refuse to pay the dealer the $379 + tax they want for the labor though, so I have to get this done.

Any ideas or tips?? I'm desperate!!!! How do you drop the exhaust? I took bolt out right by transmission (has a spring that holds it to a bracket), but that didn't help at all. Seems extreme, but the way I'm looking at it, if it takes hour to take that section of exhaust off, I'd be WAY ahead of my current pace of probably 4hrs to get this bolt out and 4 more to get it in.

Last edited by gone postal; 09-14-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 AM

Well, here I am 2hrs later - got the last bolt out about 40min after my original post - took 3min to swap sensor - 2min to put mount back in and fasten the two lower bolts and the other hour & 15min was bandaging up my finger b/c I sliced it on the catalytic's shield and trying to thread that top bolt in. I can get about 2 threads by hand and then my fingers don't have enough grip at the bad angle. I can't seem to get the hex on it either. I may try shaving my hex down some for a lil more room or I'm considering taking it to Audi - I'm at the point where paying someone $100 to get that bolt in sounds like a great deal!!! I honestly would rather do my timing belt again.....twice.....than have to do this again. I don't mind working hours & hours on a job - just hate the ones where it is in an awkward position, working on one bolt and doing it blind b/c you can't even see it - just too damn frustrating. I took pics along the way though, so will do a little write-up later in case someone else needs to tackle this.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

I just LOVE that 3.0 of mine

Now I understand why the cup holder is so small. It's for beer bottles!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 AM
4th Gear

Sorry you had such a time, postal. I hate they way the engineers put cars together with no regard to how a tech is gonna fix it. Seems to be rampant in every sector recently, however - even Apple has a notebook you have to send back to have the battery replaced....

would like to see those pics.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM
3rd Gear

too late... and yeah, sorry for your frustration Postal.
I would have dropped the cats. Probably you may have ran into a different problem - seized flange bolts, but at least you should have been able to solve that one much quicker than dealing with tiny work areas.
I haven't had time to look at mine lately, but I too may need to replace that range switch since I got the back-up lights out. I will definitely drop the cats if I need to do that, since I already done it and have all the bolts with anti-seize on them.
You're a good man since you took pics with the intention of sharing with us; thanks.

By this time, probably you already completed the job, but if not....drop the cats.