Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm buying this... Need approval!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear
Default I'm buying this... Need approval!

Good reviews, handy and cheap tool. Does the job what i'm looking for. My car does too much beeping and im not xpecting it to go down as its 98 A6 2.8. With time and age the beeping and issues will only go up. I'm tired of running to mechanic for everything. Might as well keep it handy. For $24.00 i doubt i can go wrong. But still Should i?

Amazon.com: XiTech XR-90 Advanced OBD2 Code Reader: Automotive

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Would this do the job or shuld i just buy OBD2 to USB cable and download software from ross-tech.com. Well i went for this one as i have another car (camry) so i was thinking this may work in both vehicles. Any suggestions ppl?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

No one owns a vag com here?? Help ppl

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

I purchased the standard OBD2 to USB cable and within 1 month I threw in the trash and bought a VAG-COM. It is ok to have for the occasional read out if you just get a check engine light but you won't be able to check for any kind of issues your computer might have recorded internally without showing a check engine light.
Also VAG-COM allows you to modify certain settings (like the radio code for the alarm system and automatic door lock or remote window control) and you can really do some troubleshooting when you experience intermittent issues (like power loss in certain situations, etc).

I personally think VAG-COM is the best choice even though it is slightly over prized.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
I purchased the standard OBD2 to USB cable and within 1 month I threw in the trash and bought a VAG-COM. It is ok to have for the occasional read out if you just get a check engine light but you won't be able to check for any kind of issues your computer might have recorded internally without showing a check engine light.
Also VAG-COM allows you to modify certain settings (like the radio code for the alarm system and automatic door lock or remote window control) and you can really do some troubleshooting when you experience intermittent issues (like power loss in certain situations, etc).

I personally think VAG-COM is the best choice even though it is slightly over prized.
slightly?... its $250, im a curious owner of a car not a mechanic. So i was thinking of buying something which can help me check the basic problems in the car although im aware i wont be able to do all the cool stuff which u can with a real vagcom

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

well considering you are driving a luxury automobile I think 250 for a scan tool is only "slightly" overpriced :P

And I am no mechanic either but with all the DIY stuff I've been doing with my car now I really think it was worth it's money.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
well considering you are driving a luxury automobile I think 250 for a scan tool is only "slightly" overpriced :P

And I am no mechanic either but with all the DIY stuff I've been doing with my car now I really think it was worth it's money.
ur beginning to make sense lol.. I bought this $20 crap neway, im going to play around for few days and possibly then buy the real vagcom.

However, i did notice that there are other brand softwares outside of vagcom too thru which u can work on ur car, why is vagcom so popular? Vagcom im sure has no affiliation with audi, its a 3rd party software.. right?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

Here is the cable I have, works fine with the free rosstech vag-com software.

Vag-Com USB Interface KKL 409.1 OBD2 OBD AUDI VW SEAT ~ | eBay

If you add a pin to it, it will also work on 99-06 BMW's. It will NOT work at all on your camry. Not even as an OBDII reader, only VAG products and BMW's if you add a pin to the connector. I have used this exact cable (from the Alpha-Bid) for 6 years now on my A6 and our 3 series.

Last edited by Jeffla; 08-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
Here is the cable I have, works fine with the free rosstech vag-com software.

Vag-Com USB Interface KKL 409.1 OBD2 OBD AUDI VW SEAT ~ | eBay

If you add a pin to it, it will also work on 99-06 BMW's. It will NOT work at all on your camry. Not even as an OBDII reader, only VAG products and BMW's if you add a pin to the connector. I have used this exact cable (from the Alpha-Bid) for 6 years now on my A6 and our 3 series.
Sweet! Kinda curious wat all ru able to do with it in the car, besides reading the codes and turning the chek engine light off.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

There are a few things you can do, such as radio configuration change, transmission code change and etc, but it is regarded as a diagnostic tool, not a tuning tool. If you get a full version, or find a hack on the web somewhere, you can enable real time logging and etc.