Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase idle??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Default Increase idle??

My 02 A6 quattro w/ 3.0 idles at 680 - I've had it stall on me 3 times in the last few months when first starting in the morning - no codes. Jackmup suggested a way to realign throttle body, but it didn't seem to help (or I wasn't doing it right). Is there a way to increase it in VAG-COM?

As for what I tried -
Engine>Basic Settings>060> But from there, I read on Ross-Tech, I can "switch to basic setting" for 30 sec while it's aligning itself and then go back to "normal" mode. I see 'switch to basic" at the bottom, but it's grayed out. Jackmup didn't suggest a specific block to test, but I tried several of the lower # ones (specifically 003 - which listed a tb angle)

Last edited by gone postal; 09-22-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

Check for vacuum leaks! when you did the TB there is a hard line that runs behind the drivers side cam pulley plate and goes to a vacuum res. (3 blue *****, it's a Picasso!)That could have easily broken.

To do the Throttle;

goto;01-engine

goto;04-Basic settings

goto; group 60

it has a box that says (on/off/next) on top of screen click that and the alignment will start. Touch nothing for 2 minutes. You'll hear the TB click.

after that just click DONE/GO BACK.

As for the idle you can adjust it in adaption I can't remember the group for it it will only adjust 10rpm at a time. HOWEVER you should use BOSCH UNISETTINGS for this.

Link to download;

http://www.unitronic.ca/UNISetting.php

You may have to go into the setup on Vag-Com where it asks what com....bla bla bla and on the bottom of the page are a bunch of boxes uncheck the only checked box down below or it won't work with the cable.

Once you get to adapting the idle you can only do it in increments of 10 rpm, so if you put 130% in unisettings you'll get nothing only 10rpm or 10% I forget which it was.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
4th Gear

definitely look for vacuum leaks.. it seems the TB can adjust enough at idle to compensate.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

Yup! everytime I tweak it the ECM tweaks it back on me. I retarded the timing 2 degrees and it moved it back. Bastard! or *****! which ever. It was getting awsome fuel mileage there for 15 miles

Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 AM
4th Gear

Deleted...

WTF? Posted to wrong place

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Jackmup - Yeah, on the lower # ones (001, 003, etc) I saw the ON/OFF/NEXT button up top - on 060 though, it isn't there. The only button I had was "Turbo!" which I clicked for the hell of it and it just increased sampling rate. When I went back to that block a second time, Turbo! was grayed out. I have the latest version of VAG-COM b/c it prompted me to update a few days ago. I doubt they'd change something like this, but I clearly didn't have the ON/OFF/NEXT or option to "change to basic" that their website suggested.

As for the other method, I went to adaptation and my requested rpm is 680 and it idles at 670. Soooo, if the computer is requesting 680, it's probably unlikely that I have a leak (but will still check later). Ross-Tech recommended inputting a value between 124 - 132 (mine was 128). I messed around and inputted 129, 130, and even 136, but nothing changed (and yes, I hit "test" for all and even "save" for 132 which was the upper "safe" level). I know you said 10rpm increments, so would it be from 128 to 129 = 10? I'd have to input a much higher number than they "recommend" in order to get to 890-900rpm. Guess I'll look to unitronic after I check for the vacuum leak

Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

Follow the directions I wrote down on top. You are in the wrong spot on the Vag-Com. Confusing isn't it? There are different methods of doing it for each model your doing it like another model. I did the same thing. You have to try again how I described or at the bottom of the vag-com instructions on line it has our car listed, the top 2 ways are for other models.

If it say 680 then somebody adapted it lower before. That's the problem. Increase it 10 at a time until you get it where you want it. You will most likely have to turn the IGN on and off to get it there.

Last edited by Jackmup; 09-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Well, I don't know where I was earlier - I swear I was in Basic Settings - anyway, this time the ON/OFF/NEXT was there and I clicked it. I saw the values change, but didn't hear anything - I was in the car w/ door open, but the hood closed - not exactly how loud it is. I gave it about 3min. I started the car and watched measuring block 56 which shows specified and actual RPM. It starts high - 900, but as car warms up, it gradually falls to 680. SOOOO much smoother at 900!!

Adaptation in VAG-COM doesn't do jack. I can't get unitronic to help either. It doesn't matter if I increase 10rpm or 200rpm, 680 is all that is specified. I even tried increasing 10, saving, cycle ignition, increase 10, saving, etc up to a total increase of 70 (unitronic shows 70 b/c it remembers the increases everytime you cycle igntion), but still 680!! I'm doing this with the car off, but ignition on. Ross-Tech says adaptation is with car running, but still doesn't help and I got an error code (RAM table not found) if I tried using Unitronic w/ car running.

Am I missing something?

On a side note, I had to do some work on my Cherokee today. Man what a breeze. Had an exhaust leak at the header / downpipe joint and a valve cover leak. I did both in less than hour. Plenty of room to work and just simple tools were needed. Such a great piece of machinery. Sure it has a computer too, but nothing ridiculous like this A6. Damn car is loaded w/ sensors and has a "brain" for everything, but it can't figure out how to idle correctly!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

Your mistaken, These cars were given stubbornness and arrogance-not brains.

I'll try to adapt mine this weekend to see how I did it. I remember with the Vag the car was running but I also had to cycle the ignition then it would keep. Also coming back down i did not have to cycle the ignition.

You should hear.... buzzz,... click click,... click click, It is clearly audible from the drivers seat. However once you set it you have enough time to get out and put your ear to the black intake tube against the fire wall and listen for it.

Idle Speed Adaptation:

With engine warmed up, at idle:

[Select]
[01 engine]
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel 01
Enter an adaptation value between 124 and 132
[Save]

(May require a Login of 01283 or 11463, depending on year or model)

pick up a cheap hand actuated Vacuum pump at harbor freight or somewhere and test your vac lines. Also the strange thing is your starting idle cold should be around 1100+ and kick down should be in the neighborhood of 870-900. So Something is a little off. Was it doing this before you did the T-Belt???. If not just turn the crank back on mark throw the clamps on the cams and see if they fit. If not just drop them into position by moving the crank a little and tighten them down. Loosen the 4 cam adjuster bolts, turn the crank back to TDC-"0" and make sure to take the play from the cams with the weird little tool or pliers or something. and then tighten the bolts back up in order; Psgr EX, Psgr IN, Driver IN, Driver EX.
If you do not have the tools anymore you can check the timing adaption on the VAG-COM by going to advanced measuring blocks and click on both banks. See what it says, mine is ~16degrees BTC when warmed up at idle.

If yours is not pull out the unisettings go into channel 9 IGN timing aditive offset, tweak it to 16btc and see if that does the trick if it does, order the clamps or drive to cape coral. I bought mine on ebay but it took 2 weeks. try this link;

http://www.etoolcart.com/camshaftali...re-t40030.aspx

Keep in mind if it has always been that way then the tb probably has nothing to do with it. If it happened after the TB job then it could be due to the timing belt being off adjustment.

Last edited by Jackmup; 09-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Idle Speed Adaptation:

With engine warmed up, at idle:

[Select]
[01 engine]
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel 01
Enter an adaptation value between 124 and 132
[Save]

(May require a Login of 01283 or 11463, depending on year or model)
This is the EXACT thing I tried w/ absoutely no change whatsoever. It was set at 128. I upted it 1 by 1 and then tried something crazy like 136, but whenever I hit "test" it doesn't change. I even saved it on 132 and still no immediate change. Guess I'll try cycling the ignition b/c I didn't do that - why the hell would there be a "test" button if it's not an immediate change?!?

Since 124-132 is some rudimentary coding that seems to have no real correlation w/ actual RPM, if 132 doesn't get me high enough, is it safe to go over that? Anyone know? Auditech79?

As for low idle, I'm pretty sure it's been this way. I do know for a fact that it had stalled prior to the tb job, so I'm gonna say that it has been this low for awhile. I will check the timing in VAG-COM though. As for cold start, first thing in the morning it is 1100 or so. Last night it had been sitting for maybe 4hrs which I thought would've been cold enough, but guess not.

Yeah, I found the tools on Ebay prior to the tb job, but figured I won't need them again, so I just rented them instead. If this was a more popular motor than just a 3yr run in what? Two model lines? Then I would've bought them and started advertising tb jobs in my garage for hundreds less than dealers.