Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Fuel Mileage 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Audi 2000 a6 2.7T
Eric, I think i found what you were talking about. The shop is JHM and the turbo dealer is RP Turbos. For AZ members its 1400 shipped. They have 12 month warranty too. It seems like JHM is a reliable source, and for about half the cost of BW-K04s it sounds good. They have tested them "for a few months" but im curious how they stand the test of time.

I have read on here that K04s can be ran with a stock setup except inlet pipes. But my question is-because the K04s push more air at the same PSI, will i have any chance of hurting my Auto trans?

Also, i have found plenty of threads and videos on engine removal, but i havent found one with an auto trans. Are there any major differences in the removal and reinstallation?

Yes you can run them on a stock set up, you just need the piping and hardware. No you won't hurt your trans unless you are putting down 400+ horsepower, and that won't happen without some serious tuning. As for removing the engine, it shouldn't matter if you plan on removing the engine and trans attached to each other, if you want to seperate them the only difference is you have to un-bolt the 3 torque converter bolts from under the car and manually turning the flexplate with a screwdriver.

I would definately have this checked out by a mechanic before changing your turbos though, you could have something else going on. When turbos blow up they usually sound like a police siren or a dentists drill.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. Im trying to avoid a mechanic if i can. I think i have enough mechanical knowledge to work on whatever the problem is. I just need to work through a process of elimination to find the issue. I just got back from a 2 mile drive and it seemed to drive normally. I installed a boost gauge and i ran it to see if i could get the full 6 PSI from the turbos, and i could. It seemed to drive fine, but when i stopped i noticed that same burning plastic smell and noticed a little cloud of smoke. Where should i begin to look for the issue?
The only thing i could think of that might be a possible cause for the issue is...
a month ago i pressure tested my intake systen with a home-made pressure tester looking for leaks. I didnt have the pressure regulated and i may have put more than 15 PSI to the system. Well, when i started it, it let out a huge cloud of smoke. But then it quickly went back to normal and it hasnt done anything like that until now. Could that have caused an issue that wouldnt show up until a month later?

any thoughts?

Update:
I pulled the Intercooler piping and about a cup of oil poured out of each. The oil had tiny metal shavings in it. Also there is oil all over the bottom drivers side of the engine compartment. looks like it may be the worse case scenario after all. Is there anything else that it could be besides bearings of the turbos leaking oil?

Last edited by Audi 2000 a6 2.7T; 01-03-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Anyone have any more thoughts on my issue?
How do i confirm that a blown turbo is the reason for the oil in the intercooler piping as well as all over the lower driver side engine bay?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM

I don't know the orientation of the turbos in the engine compartment but the easiest way to check the turbo (if you can) would be to jack it up, pull the intercooler piping off and see if there is shaft play, if so how much. You may be able to rebuild the turbo if it is not too far gone (didn't hit the housing). From what you describe I would say expect the worst and hope for the best. You said it is the same for both intercoolers?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM

yes, i noticed about a cup or less of oil from each intercooler pipe. I might pull the clip for my timing belt this weekend, so i could probably get a better look at them that way.

I think that the oil spray on the engine compartment may be caused by a clogged spider pipe or PCV system(causing over pressurization and blew a seal or gasket). From the research ive read on here and AZ and AW, it seems to be a pretty common issue.

What are the suggestions for changing these gaskets? Obviously i will change the one that is leaking, but should i change the valve cover gaskets and the cam adjuster gaskets and the cam seals? Are they all the same job?