Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

information display issues

Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation information display issues

The information display has been.acting up and doesn't not display fully sometimes or its real broken up. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

Other than that there are a bunch of options. Modulemaster.com does it as well as multiple members over at AudiZine (Mpower & K0mpresd).

An important thing to consider is whether you want a [relatively] cheap china LCD knock off or the actual OEM LCD. No matter what you get you will have an awesome display where every pixel works, but the OEM has much better contrast. The last I heard K0mpresd charged $140 for the cheap LCD and $240 for the OEM (which gives you an idea of prices: if you see someone offering an LCD service for under $200, you're probably getting the cheap screen). I had mine done at Modulemaster many years ago and it still looks and functions perfectly.

You will have to take the entire cluster out of your car (two screws and a bunch of wire clips on the back) and ship it to whoever is fixing it. This leaves some people with the problem that they don't have a second car to drive while it is getting fixed. You could MAYBE get it fixed in 4-5 days if you next-day-aired it, but that's still quite a bit of time to be without a working car. If your car does NOT have an immobilizer (usually '01 and older), however, you should still be able turn the car on and drive it in emergencies. You can use a GPS for speed or if you're really fancy you can use the HVAC diagnostics to display the speed where the temperature is usually.

Last edited by nm3210; 01-17-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Would a picture of it help? Haha

Originally Posted by nm3210
Other than that there are a bunch of options. Modulemaster.com does it as well as multiple members over at AudiZine (Mpower & K0mpresd).

An important thing to consider is whether you want a [relatively] cheap china LCD knock off or the actual OEM LCD. No matter what you get you will have an awesome display where every pixel works, but the OEM has much better contrast. The last I heard K0mpresd charged $140 for the cheap LCD and $240 for the OEM (which gives you an idea of prices: if you see someone offering an LCD service for under $200, you're probably getting the cheap screen). I had mine done at Modulemaster many years ago and it still looks and functions perfectly.

You will have to take the entire cluster out of your car (two screws and a bunch of wire clips on the back) and ship it to whoever is fixing it. This leaves some people with the problem that they don't have a second car to drive while it is getting fixed. You could MAYBE get it fixed in 4-5 days if you next-day-aired it, but that's still quite a bit of time to be without a working car. If your car does NOT have an immobilizer (usually '01 and older), however, you should still be able turn the car on and drive it in emergencies. You can use a GPS for speed or if you're really fancy you can use the HVAC diagnostics to display the speed where the temperature is usually.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

Forgive me if we jumped the gun without explaining. Unless you're simply talking about how the screen can turn on/off (with the 'reset' switch on the wiper-stalk), we know that your driver information display is bad.

The LCD screens in the older Audi's have been known for quite some time to go bad after a while. Almost no one has one that looks good after 10 years. There are many ways for it to go bad; for some displays the whole screen fades out and you can't read anything while others have individual (or rows) of pixels go out to make the thing almost completely unreadable. The fix is to get a new LCD (some argue whether it's just the ribbon cable, but still). If you're an expert solder-er you could attempt to put a new one in yourself, but most people just send it into someone to repair.

Last edited by nm3210; 01-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

I have individual rows that went out also it doesn't read my speed either it always says 16 mph not sure I'd that just comes with the screen problem or just a whole other problem