Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Innacurate fuel gage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
4th Gear
Default Innacurate fuel gage

I am aware that this has been an issue (to the point of recall) on some 3.0 and 2.7Ts, but has anyone had an issue with this on the 4.2?
I ran out of gas the other day on the way to the airport (made it) with my digital reading 60 miles and needle showing almost a quarter of a tank.
I put gas in and it was fine. Next week, same thing but no run out, just looked full when actualy i had travelled 300 miles. Took it in to a good dealer and they let me know it was the fuel sender and that it was a $750 fix.
I do not doubt this, although probably cheaper at a solo or indi shop, but are there any other ideas here? I ran a bottle of high end fuel system cleaner through it from BMW service (another recommendation) but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Would appreciate any thoughts and was this one recalled as well?

2003 A6, 4.2, sport + luxury. 63K miles.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Innacurate fuel gage

Wow...thats an expensive fix. I imagine it is so much because they need to drop the tank to get to the sender unit? Do you have a Bentley Manual? Maybe this is something you should attempt yourself. As for the recall, write down your VIN Number and call your dealer to see if there has been any recalls on your year/model etc. There is also a recall section on AF (see above) that might lend some insight. Let us know. I have a 4.2 as well (01) and my guage is accurate so far. [&:]

Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
4th Gear

thanks for the suggestions. While being a do it yourself home guy, I rarely will attack a car issue. On another sponsored forum, there is some info on this I found, including a step by step way to do it, however, it does not seem like a good idea. It seems that Audi would better address this given similar models had recalls.

Otherwise, I love the 4.2, even with a few repairs it has been an unbelievable car. Caught a rock yesterday that is spreading the windshield cracks now. Uugh. Opened in up in a safe environment the other day. 130MPH with plenty to go. What a thrill. Hmmm, maybe that's why I am out of gas...

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

btw, do not have to drop the tank. done from a panel in the trunk (supposedly)

Old 01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear

Well..thats good to know you can DIY if needed. Yeah, I love my 4.2. I bought it certified with 50 or so K and the previous owner was a woman. She took awesome care and maintenance of the vehicle. Other than some rotten vacuum lines and a new MAF and O2 sensors (all under warranty) the car has been awesome. Zero issue and quirks. The v8 is so reliable. My AUDI mechanic says its the best most reliable engine AUDI built, as well as the 2.8. He said the car will fall apart before the motor dies. I had mine up to 140mph in the express lanes (straight and empty). From what I've read, you will bump the governor right under 150. I ran out of road. [8D]Talking to some other 4.2 owners, the car will easily hit 160+ with a few minor MODS.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

At a suggestion, I ran a bottle of BMW's fuel system cleaner through and the accuracy is back on the sender. Ran it down to 60 Miles remaining (which given an avg of 16mpg would suggest I had 3.75 gallons remaining. I filled up and it took right at 18 gallons. (4.2) has 21.6 gallon tank. So perhaps a cheap fix for some people with this woe. Let's hope it keeps it's life!