Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

fuel gage weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel gage weirdness

Hello again, my tt only has 3500 miles so a computer problem seems unlikely. The last 2 times I have been on empty the gas pumps have only let me put in 12.5 gallons. Then yesterday on my way to work I wasn't quite on E yet the computer told me I had approx. 80 miles til empty. I was driving about 10 minutes then all of a sudden the info stated 25 then 10 THEN 0!? I looked at the fuel gage and was on E completely. I just about freaked out because this happened within a minute! Luckily I was rite by a gas station, but on the fill up the pump only allowed 12.5 gallons again. What the hek is goin on? I have had the tt since 3/12 and no problems til the last 2 fill ups and now the sudden empty tank yesterday. Could the info computer be messed up or the gas gage. The only thing different lateley is alot of aircon because of the hot weather in Chicago. But even with the Ac on the info should still be accurate and I should still be able to fill up completely. Any thoughts, or anyone else have a problem like this in the past. I am aware that the TT has a history of electrical problems for some on older model TTs.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Default RE: fuel gage weirdness

Ya i have a 2000 TT with less than 20k miles on it and my car is having this same problem...since it isn't under warranty I haven't been able to take it to the dealer yet cuz i'm afraid of what it is gonna be, ya my gauge will go from a quarter tank of gas down to 0 miles in like 5 seconds, i dont really know if it is the computer because i would hope they wouldn't have the problem with as many miles as your car does so that gives me hope that i dont have to replace or fix the computer...but who knows..let me know if you find anything out!

Old 06-15-2005, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

I mentioned it to the service guy, they will look at it thursday when I get the oil changed, i'll keep u posted.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 PM

This happened to me in my 2001 225QC. Fortunately I'm still under warranty, so I took it in for the repair. Turns out we have *two* fuel sensors in our tanks (the tank apparently sits in a sort of saddle configuration, hence the need for two sensors), and when one goes bad, it causes all kinds of wierd readings. I'd be driving around thinking I had a quarter tank, and the needle would wiggle straight to empty. Good stuff.

Audi tech told me it's a pain to repair, but like I said, if you're under warranty, it's all good. If not, I have no idea how much it would cost, but they do have to remove the tank, drain it, test and swap the sensors, and all that noise.

Hope it helps,

J.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM

I had a similar problem with fuel gauge on my 2000 TT. Although I was out of warranty, the service dept at my dealership fixed it because it was a known issue with the TT. Check your local Audi service dept to see if they will do the same.

Regards,
John

Old 07-08-2005, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Just an udate, the problem is the fuel sensors. Good diagnosis J, the tech explained that the sensors didn't have enough resistance so when I would be down to around .25 tank they would move around and cause problems with the whole system. The parts were to be in today, warranty repair. Weird how somthing like that can go bad this soon.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

I have a 01 180QC and i had the same problem but when i brought it in for warrenty work, they said that it was the instrument cluster, but also my electronic range was reading correct but the gauge wouldnt go below 1/4 tank. So they replaced my entire cluster.