Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in new A6..help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Interested in new A6..help

Hey everyone. im new to the forum. im a GM guy. always had GM vehicles. always had SUV's and sports cars. past list of vehicles are 2002 tahoe, 1999 camaro, 1999 trans am, 2002 escalade, 2002 STS, 2007 H2, 2012 tahoe 2010 camaro ss. I currently have the 2012 tahoe and 2010 camaro SS....im looking to dump my tahoe after less than a year of having it. my H2 i had before the tahoe was jacked up and was alot of fun. i sold it due to a baby that came, and got the tahoe. i lowered the tahoe a bit to have more fun with it when i couldnt be in my camaro. no im having some issues with the tahoe and im kinda board with it. lately ive been really interested in the new A6 quattro premium plus with the 3.0 SC motor. seen a few slightly used with less than 10K on them for a pretty good deal. after seeing alot of video os a6's in the snow, it looks like alot of fun. and from what ive heard they are very safe and reliable cars. is there anything i need to know about this car before i pull the trigger on one? any pointers, advice? things to stay away from? things to go for? thanks for the help.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

They are reliable cars. I have a 2003 A6 2.7T with 126,000 miles on the clock. Still runs strong with just the usual work needed. (Diff seals, rear transmission output shaft seal, etc)

One word of caution, when you get to higher mileage with these cars, your relationship turns into a love-hate relationship. Everything you've heard about Audis being temperamental is true. Our cars demand a certain kind of respect and attention, and if you don't give it to them they will become a money pit quickly.

Working on them is very different from working on GM products from what I have experienced anyway. Repairs that are somewhat simple on a GM aren't so simple on an Audi or BMW given the tools required, the engineering, and the lack of space for your hands and tools.

I don't think you will be disappointed with an A6.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

well, from my past, i dont typically hold onto cars for a long time. longest car ive had was my trans am for 6 years and it wasnt a daily driver. next to that was the hummer. i had it for 4 1/2 years and drove it every day. typical ownership time for me is around 3- 3 1/2 years. so if i buy a low mileage a6 with 9k on it, it may have 40-45 on it by the time i get rid of it. 1 problem ive remembered from vw's is the oil consumption. is this still a problem in the newer adi models? i remeber 2.0 motors just burning up oil and running dry.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

Neb is correct, with proper maintenance these cars will last a long time. I'm just under 210k miles. That's not to say I have not put money into it: clutch and flywheel, cats replaced. She generally runs me $1000-1500/year in maintenance or repairs. The newer A6s are much higher rated for reliability, and avoiding the turbo engines eliminates the fear/expense of blown turbos. If you are looking new or lightly used, just have it thoroughly checked out by someone who knows Audis. Keep in mind that they take full syn oil and special fluids, not generally available at Walmart for cheap. On the bright side they are a luxurious, comfortable ride, provide plenty of power (but do not expect them to be quick, they weigh too much), and very safe. It is the best highway cruiser I ever owned. They also have a crapload of accessories, features, and electronic controlled stuff and 100% operational is not realistic. I gave up the headlight washers years ago due to leaks, I have a sticky rear window, the temperature randomly cycles between C and F, the SAIU pump went so I disconnected it and live with the CEL. But I have to concerns hopping into it next week and driving MI to Savannah to Richmond to MI.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

I'm always up on maintenance of my vehicles. S it being high maintenance isn't really an issue. Only issue is that the nearest audi dealer is 40 something miles from me. Can they be serviced at vw? What kind of warranty is on a used 2012 or used 2013?